How has your winter been?

Has winter of 2016-2017 so far been..?

• Total voters

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is my first winter "up north" and I am really enjoying the consistent chill and a bit of snow, but each month of fall and winter so far has been above average and though this area isn't exactly Buffalo, NY, there has still been a lack of snow conpared to a typical SE PA winter.

My trees have done well and I have neither had to worry about any damage due to prolonged temperatures below 10-15F(lowest of the winter here 8F one morning) or maintaining dormancy during highs 55-70F here and there like many areas in the inland south experience with regularity, especially during mild winters. We did have a 62F day last week but other than that highs during the mild periods are 45-54F and lows are 32-42F, not quite enough to cause early growth, especially in January.

How has your winter been compared to a typical one? How are your trees faring in their winter storage? Any issues?

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
maybe it will swing yet, but this PA winter is abnormally warm. Jan. temps are usually consistently in the teens to twenties here in northcentral but it's been about what you described so far.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our winters have been so odd lately, I could've checked every box with honesty!

We had lighting and thunder last week.
That was diff.

My Snowlien lasted as long as the giant snow mounds in the parking lots, but finally melted away.

I've watered twice, and one tree a third time.

Everything I want to live seems OK!

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Definitely been colder than average here and longer lasting too. Started off in Autumn and has been colder and wetter than normal.
No doubt it is positively mild compared to most but to see snow on the mountains behind us was pretty rare.
Also I have man-flu now just to help make winter more miserable.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We dropped to 64 deg.F [ night ] , now that was chilly. Unusual rain so quite a few nights at 70 deg.F
Dried up again and back to 68 deg.F.

Repotting, now onto J.B.pines and have found that they grow vigorously in very shallow [ less than 2" deep ]
earthenware clay pots. So we are repotting into shallow, but wider pots.
Soil is still just 5 mm silica based builder's gravel and compost.

Good Day
Anthony

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Still frozen. Colder, but not than average. Last few winters were warmer and wet. However some lowest records have been re-written in places.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pretty much normal over here, maybe leaning towards the warm side.
But like @sorce, our winters here are always weird.
Lots of randomly warm days followed by bitter cold and strong wind.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very much warmer than normal. We set two record warm days in December and this is the warmest January with no measurable snowfall. I have a Chinese Quince that is swelling green buds (it's always the first thing, and I don't worry about that one) and also a crabapple is starting to show green tips on the buds! Hope that one slows down. It finally cooled off here, we are back in the 20's and 30's now with some snow coming soon. Hope that's the end of the heat wave till spring!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks when you guys have a cold winter we from the Eastern hemisphere have a warm one and vice versa.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It has been milder here but not enough to cause any early budding so far. I don't think we have had more then two inches of snow this Winter and it is oddly ok to me to see green grass most everywhere.
Winds have been a pain here and not normal at all in this area. Not enough to be damaging but enough to make watering a chore.

Grimmy

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Other then a few random cold snaps were we dipped into the low teens and 30s for the highs, it has been a mild winter. We have been hovering around freezing at night and mid 50s during the day. The ground generally freezes slightly at night but by mid day it is totally thawed out. I may do some winter collecting this season.

Aaron

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's been warm, we have had a handful of days in the teens, but some days in the upper 50's. I've been shuffling a lot having to move trees into the garage to stay cool and out of the sun at times.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Wet and colder than in past years. We usually get a week of upper 60's in Jan but not this year, low 50's and grey out here in sunny CA.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A rather nastier than normal winter for this neck of the woods. Starting with a typhoon powered storm that lasted two weeks in October. It started snowing just before Thanksgiving and I been up to my ass in it since. Haven't seen any of my trees, can't even get up to where they are, about 1.3 mi. and a thousand feet higher, buried deep under snow. We've taken refuge in a neighbor's cabin for the winter, down at the 3000ft level and we couldn't get out of our driveway for almost three weeks. I'm busy keeping the fire going and glad my trees are all tucked in till spring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A rather nastier than normal winter for this neck of the woods. Starting with a typhoon powered storm that lasted two weeks in October. It started snowing just before Thanksgiving and I been up to my ass in it since. Haven't seen any of my trees, can't even get up to where they are, about 1.3 mi. and a thousand feet higher, buried deep under snow. We've taken refuge in a neighbor's cabin for the winter, down at the 3000ft level and we couldn't get out of our driveway for almost three weeks. I'm busy keeping the fire going and glad my trees are all tucked in till spring.
Ummmm...yikes!! That reminds me of the Donner Party story...hopefully you haven't resorted to eating the dog yet:eek:.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Strange winter. Random ice storm one week, thunderstorm the next. Saturday was 70 degrees, yesterday we had snow flurries.

Top Bottom