Who has trouble getting pinched with scissors?? On fingers, is it just me.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This has happened to me a couple of times with my hasami style root shears, but only when I’m trying to make a cut that is too big for that tool. (Using the incorrect tool is always a sign of trouble to come!)

It would help to see a picture of the scissors you’re using, maybe how you’re holding them, and an example of the type of cuts you’re making that this is happening with.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've occasionally been pinched by bonsai tools. I guess we learn to use them better to avoid the pain?
I did note that one pair was bent which meant the handles closed too far and bit. Bending the handles back to shape fixed that.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use western style scissors and haven't had that problem in 5 years.
Tools shouldn't hurt.

I get that some people love the Japanese aesthetic, but you can own those tools and still use that dollar store scissor that is both ergonomical, cheap and indestructible. Nobody will see the difference in the results. Except for the blisters on your hands of course.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are they cheaper tools? I noticed fairly early in the game that most bonsai tools aren’t particularly well made and some will give you hot spots. All that went away when I invested in my current Kaneshin set.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This happens to me all the time! Mostly with my small straight handled tools. Sometimes you just get so into a task, that you forget about the pinch point. It never happens with my medium curved/ergonomic tools.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've occasionally been pinched by bonsai tools. I guess we learn to use them better to avoid the pain?
I did note that one pair was bent which meant the handles closed too far and bit. Bending the handles back to shape fixed that.
Agreed. This is usually a sign that excessive force is being applied and or the tool has bent out of alignment in my opinion. Choosing the correct tool and or realigning the scissors will fix the problem.
Not all handles are suitable for one size fits all. Selecting a tool that fits comfortably in your hands when in use is very important. The quality of the steel and craftmanship also plays a role in how well they function and maintain their proper shape.
I think it pays to follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer for application. Scissors are designed for cutting certain thicknesses and hardness of wood. It helps to read the descriptions for the tools use before purchasing. Good examples of this type of explanations are usually found on the better quality tool manufacturers and distributors websites. If one is interested in an example you can check the Kaneshen website it is the one I am most familiar with.

Top Bottom