From Seed Division: HorseloverFat’s Contest Seedwork

Also, slowly updating the rest of the seeds/seedlings.. will start with these Parkinsonias... they are actually QUITE a “joy” to work with.09EAB19B-FBE5-4CBB-81DC-D6B9F44C3B41.jpegC5B27380-32DF-4701-A169-FB7073D4D594.jpeg99D57665-571F-4733-999E-323E791ADE19.jpeg

Uuuhg SO much I have to update here..

But I need to ask a question, now.
View attachment 371329
(Royal Azalea ((also a pot marigold and tuft of “cat grass” apparently, dang kids))

These are SOOOO teeny!

@Pitoon , when do YOU transplant.. and what’s your method of “attack”?
You can transplant after they have a couple sets of true leaves using a toothpick to loosen the dirt around them to not disturb the roots so much.

... they are actually QUITE a “joy” to work with.

I've noticed you use a lot of "quotation marks." Some places it looks like they're meant to be used for "emphasis," but here I wonder, are you using them to indicate "sarcasm" or for something else? In other words, are they actually a joy to work with, or are they annoying to work with?

I've noticed you use a lot of "quotation marks." Some places it looks like they're meant to be used for "emphasis," but here I wonder, are you using them to indicate "sarcasm" or for something else? In other words, are they actually a joy to work with, or are they annoying to work with?
Actually a joy..

I feel that “a joy”..is much more commonly used for sarcasm..

I normally reverse polarity on most sarcasms... so, for ME, it should be in quotations...

For anyone else, you are right, such semantics, or punctuation “double-speak” WOULD indicate sarcasm..

You are right.

But the Parkinsonia, are a “True joy”

🤣🤣🤣

Acer Truncatum mold survivors. :)3CDD6500-1D36-4F2F-9116-1202CD340AA1.jpeg
The Sprouted Samaras I paid the boys 5cents a piece to collect... 50 percent plantenoides.. from A local “Crimson King”... 2 Sugar Maples (Not a big deal for me, as I’ve begun selling local, uninteresting trees as landscape material((this arrangement started from liquidating “poor, early-collected” stock.))) And the rest have yet to be identified :).130BAB7B-398C-4DA9-BB05-0C4B4942A873.jpeg
Picea Glenhii - Amaaazingly slow.. oddly exciting.
2EA5F0A1-28FC-4925-8D05-B17A922124B7.jpeg
Only apparent Siberian Peashrub survivor.... you think I’d learn that cheap seeds are never the way to go.AA6D1DD4-DF53-4D9C-8422-572B202AEAB3.jpeg

@HorseloverFat - the main reason I follow this thread are the updates on the Parkinsonia updates, it's species I'm interested in.

You have a lot of seedlings, which will become a lot of work. Fun work, but work.

With tiny seedlings, like azalea or blueberry, best to just let them grow together until they are physically big enough to handle with our "fat fingers" even if it is a couple years in a "community pot".

Wanted to share this...

So these are ALL platenoides... There is slight differences in color/size/distinction.. nothing too crazy... take a peep.4FCDF8E4-7E79-4FD4-B9A9-5EFC02C90050.jpeg

Theeeen there’s THIS platenoides.... smaller, deeper-ridged, curling outward, shiny (Actually quite healthy) foliage....

Neat!81A97434-3271-4CA7-8143-0B1CA6455345.jpegDE273FD1-C968-4C38-9536-CD8BB3CA4012.jpeg

Theeeen there’s THIS platenoides.... smaller, deeper-ridged, curling outward, shiny (Actually quite healthy) foliage....

Neat!View attachment 373178View attachment 373179

I'm guessing it's been kept right next to all the others?

I'd have suspicions of frost damage otherwise...

A couple of my cherry will do something similar if they get bit too hard by a frost after budding out. My peach tree does all kinds of crazy in early spring when it's cool and damp due to fungus. Once the temps warm up and settle down everyone goes back to normal.

It'll be interesting to see if this turns out to be individual or environmental behavior!

I'm guessing it's been kept right next to all the others?

I'd have suspicions of frost damage otherwise...

A couple of my cherry will do something similar if they get bit too hard by a frost after budding out. My peach tree does all kinds of crazy in early spring when it's cool and damp due to fungus. Once the temps warm up and settle down everyone goes back to normal.

It'll be interesting to see if this turns out to be individual or environmental behavior!
Oh yeah! Lives with the others!

...I can’t wait.

What draws you to Norway maple over other maple species? Do they have any particular advantage for bonsai?
Haha!! No.. i don’t seek them out.. I just paid my sons 5 cents a piece for “helicopters with tails”.. and our street has a TON of Crimson Kings.. so I ended up with many platenoides... I sold a bit of sugars and maples to folks LAST year who were using them for landscaping reasons.. so no big deal.

So, having processed and digested the information provided to me regarding the Rhodendron Schlippenbachi (sp?) seedlings.. (Thanks again @Pitoon and @Leo in N E Illinois ) , and also knowing that the current pot/substrate, while good for sprouting seeds, was not fostering the best growth,

...I decided to, wait until they had a few sets of leaves, then used a toothpick to free entire groups in sections of topsoil... I then moved those groups into larger “communal “ containers.. featuring 5-9 seedlings for a lil’ round.

Those lil rounds look like this.42A4B90C-A578-4A37-900B-9857A5C6CB7A.jpeg

This platenoides NEXT leaf set is currently emerging the same as it’s first... exciting stuff!
02A0172C-D4FD-4063-AE02-21485BA5B1D5.jpeg
Now that the Parkinsonias are acclimated to the outdoors.. they close up in the mornings... super neat!5CD22E9F-9E5A-472D-8DBC-6B11F8818631.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom