Ebihara maples

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We were all admiring your amazing bonsai skills - that you could successfully graft a juniper to a plum tree is very inspiring.

If it was a joke, I'm fairly sure that it's possible that no one in the intensive may or may not have known anything about it. And you can almost be sure that Boon would very likely have not
condoned such hilarity if such a suggestion was made - it's all business here.

Perhaps Daisaku did it. He was looking sheepish at dinner.

Scott

Scott
Oh... One of those "Serious" Intensives! You've obviously not been to one with Gino or Dan Koffard!

Paul Kellum has the skills and the sense of humor to do it... But he denies any involvement. But admits he would have done it if he had thought of it.

I'm certainly not above doing something like that, but I don't remember climbing on the ladder to do it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh... One of those "Serious" Intensives! You've obviously not been to one with Gino or Dan Koffard!

Paul Kellum has the skills and the sense of humor to do it... But he denies any involvement. But admits he would have done it if he had thought of it.

I'm certainly not above doing something like that, but I don't remember climbing on the ladder to do it.
Oh wait...

I was at Boon's two weeks last winter. I took the third winter Intensive, and the winter 4 intensive, and there were a few extra days in there where I had some extra time... Forgot about that! Yeah, it's coming back to me now... (I'm getting too old to remember everything I've done.)

We had pruned some Kishu, and I was sad that my Ume grafts had not taken, so on a lark, I popped in the Shimpaku. I thought I'd put Gino's tag on it, then thought better of it as he might be insulted, and put mine on. Never thinking it might take!

The joke's on me!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh wait...

I was at Boon's two weeks last winter. I took the third winter Intensive, and the winter 4 intensive, and there were a few extra days in there where I had some extra time... Forgot about that! Yeah, it's coming back to me now... (I'm getting too old to remember everything I've done.)

We had pruned some Kishu, and I was sad that my Ume grafts had not taken, so on a lark, I popped in the Shimpaku. I thought I'd put Gino's tag on it, then thought better of it as he might be insulted, and put mine on. Never thinking it might take!

The joke's on me!

That's great, but when did you have time to graft Ume onto my Sierra juniper?
image.jpeg

I don't mind or anything. Looks like it's about to bloom. Should be pretty.

Scott

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LOL!!!

Is that from my Ume?

Boon posted that tree on Facebook, and I said graft on Ume! Hey, if Kishu will graft onto plum, why not Ume on Sierra?

I wonder what Mr Ebihara would think about all this silliness?

Enjoy the blossoms!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
LOL!!!

Is that from my Ume?

Boon posted that tree on Facebook, and I said graft on Ume! Hey, if Kishu will graft onto plum, why not Ume on Sierra?

I wonder what Mr Ebihara would think about all this silliness?

Enjoy the blossoms!

Rest easy - it wasn't from your Ume.

We had fun. If it takes, I think Ebihara would be proud.

S

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Scott, the maple you worked on, did the base get that way from that root technique?

Does this maple look like it had the same root technique done to it? I love the base and was wondering how it got there.
1452390074862.jpg

TheSneakyTruth

Seedling
Reaction score
Whilst we're postulating on nebari and lower trunk flare as per thumblessprimate1's post, would this maple have had anything different other than the techniques shown earlier in the thread?

dsc_0276-x2.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't know how the two trees were developed.

The Ebihara technique works for sure. Does take some time...

Jonas detailed the Ebihara technique on his blog: www.bonsaitonight.com. He shows several of Mr Ebihara's trees.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whilst we're postulating on nebari and lower trunk flare as per thumblessprimate1's post, would this maple have had anything different other than the techniques shown earlier in the thread?

View attachment 91352
I think a lot of these pancake nebari trees like the one you posted were grown using something kind of similar, but probably more like the tile technique @Smoke detailed on his blog once or twice.. Basically you drill holes in a tile, run 5-6+ seedlings through them, let them grow so that they layer themselves over the tile, and meld together eventually, then keep the 1/2/3... However many trunks you want to keep, remove the others and you have a huge spreading root base with this sort of look.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@Adair M, did you ever ask Boon how long 'some time' is?

I did. His response was - it depends. He showed me this tree from Kinbon. It's a zelkova grown by Ebihara. Apparently rejected a lot of money for it, according to the stories.

image.jpeg

It was 36 years in training when this photo was taken.

This was the original tree. Photo taken in 1976.
image.jpeg

This was taken 9 years later in 1985.
image.jpeg

It was grown exclusively in training pots using this technique, according to the article and Boon's recollection of his conversation with Ebihara.

Boon's maple has been board planted for 3 years. This was the first repotting since the techniques was applied. He estimated that one or two more repottings to finish - so about 10 years.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, the maple you worked on, did the base get that way from that root technique?

Does this maple look like it had the same root technique done to it? I love the base and was wondering how it got there.
View attachment 91345

Hi thumbless - in short, I'm not sure, but I think that the technique could be used to help develop a base like the one in the picture.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

View attachment 91352

In truth, I don't know. But you should know that planting on a board was only one of the many techniques Ebihara uses to develop his trees - all in combination. He is quite famous for his grafting and has preformed many creative and innovative grafts. I'm sure he carried out root grafts, for instance. They are very common.

Scott

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a good idea. I'd be worry a bit about the nail cutting in if it grows too big, though. With nails there is no chance of that. What do you think?

Scott
I like the plain nail, with a flat head. If stuck to tight from time it can still be easily bent to the side to loosen the grip on the root. The photos tell me exactly what steps were taken along the way.

I used roofing nails once...I had plenty available. The nails look traditional with a flat head but also have a thin plastic cap (about 3/4" diameter) below the head that stopped any movement that a root might try to pop up. The roofing nails look like very small plastic dish with a nail through the middle. The plastic caps are better than the steel caps (rust). Just something I used.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the clear write-up and especially the photos! Nice clear instruction and enough detail for step following to help learn the procedure. That's a fine, mighty fine, root base! Well done.

I also appreciate seeing the soil up close too. There's always lots of soil discussion. It's nice to see "this is what I used really" and how the potting came together in the final steps.

Very cool work accomplished!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did. His response was - it depends. He showed me this tree from Kinbon. It's a zelkova grown by Ebihara. Apparently rejected a lot of money for it, according to the stories.

It was 36 years in training when this photo was taken.

This was the original tree. Photo taken in 1976.

This was taken 9 years later in 1985.

It was grown exclusively in training pots using this technique, ... Boon's maple has been board planted for 3 years. This was the first repotting since the techniques was applied. He estimated that one or two more repottings to finish - so about 10 years.

Scott

Thank you very much, Scott.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 91345

Thumbless I don't know how this one was created or the other one that Sneaky posted, but I do believe with good technique and timely work, maples will develop these bases in time to more or less similar results.

Ebihara's approach is noteworthy because it not only works well but also achieves spectacular spreading bases in a remarkably short period of time. He is a technical wizard!

http://bonsaitonight.com/2009/02/14/ebihara/

@markyscott : Thanks for sharing the great work Scott!

Top Bottom