Question on Ebihara Technique w/ Younger Trees

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is that really true? I'm sure the members here have done a lot of trees way smaller than 2".
nope...

There are plenty of people here starting seedlings with a washer/tile with a hole/etc... best way to start a tree with a flared nebari. Heck, I use #6 - #10 stainless (or deck) screws and screw trees with more or less 1" trunks into tiles as soon as I can.

Last edited:

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Ebihara technique can be used on younger trees, but it's important to make sure that the tree is mature enough to handle the stress of the technique. Generally, it's recommended to wait until the tree has a trunk diameter of at least 2 inches before attempting the technique.
This a only 12-15mm at the most and I think I’m exaggerating
ADE3F1BD-8D24-4197-86FD-AB3FE10B8F6A.jpeg

This one is an absolute beast though, base is at a massive 18-20mm, almost 1” where the 2 trunks meet. Strapped this bad boy to a random lid I found in the kitchen
24C106EE-389B-42DD-BEF6-DC9214E0C43A.jpeg

Now

If you have a month old seedling, then sure, don’t do it, but after a year or so when you can cut the taproot, then it’s good enough to strap to something flat

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
nope...

There are plenty of people here starting seedlings with a washer/tile with a hole/etc... best way to start a tree with a flared nebari. Heck, I use #6 - #10 stainless (or deck) screws and screw trees with more or less 1" trunks into tiles as soon as I can.

Maybe not full blown ebihara.... But (as has been stated, I see 🤣) a LOT of us plant seedlings (much under 2") fastened downward to flat surfaces (glass, plastic, plaster, wood)..

Last edited:

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was gonna post in that non bonsai tools thread, but I can’t find it now.
I’m not sure if the Chinese shops on non China countries will have this, but the lids are great for getting a good root spread on tiny mame sized trees, they’re much wider than a plastic coke bottle’s lid and flatter than the gallon sized water bottles.
Perfect if you can find it, or something similar

Attachments

• 283F9E1F-4501-4AB1-8D51-A9D4788C662A.png
    283F9E1F-4501-4AB1-8D51-A9D4788C662A.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom