Ebihara maples

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Sweet! Nice little pictorial. I have done this procedure with a few trees and it works well. I usually buy garden stock, air layer it, then grow out using that method. I've also done it with flat-cut olives. Keep us posted!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sweet! Nice little pictorial. I have done this procedure with a few trees and it works well. I usually buy garden stock, air layer it, then grow out using that method. I've also done it with flat-cut olives. Keep us posted!

I'd love to see how it's worked for you.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Worked on one of Boon's Kotohime maples today. He's had it planted on a board using the Ebihara technique for about 5 years. Thought I'd share what the tree looks like today.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Today we bare rooted the tree. Tommorrow we'll mount it to a new board and with the roots.

Scott

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Worked on one of Boon's Kotohime maples today. He's had it planted on a board using the Ebihara technique for about 5 years. Thought I'd share what the tree looks like today.

View attachment 91205 View attachment 91206 View attachment 91207

Today we bare rooted the tree. Tommorrow we'll mount it to a new board and with the roots.

Scott

Wow, I can't wait to try this this repotting season. I wish I would have learned of this technique earlier than this year!

Oh well, that happens a lot in the bonsai journey. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Post pics tomorrow with it on the board if you can!

Cheers!

TheSneakyTruth

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks real impressive! I've ground layered a young palmatum earlier in the growing season (Australia) and it already has decent root growth with a solid 3-3.5 months of growing season left. I'll be sure to try this come winter!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 91205 View attachment 91206 View attachment 91207

Scott
How often are maples having this technique applied to them re-potted? Do you let the roots run for a few years or are you cutting them back annually? Thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Worked on one of Boon's Kotohime maples today. He's had it planted on a board using the Ebihara technique for about 5 years. Thought I'd share what the tree looks like today

Scott
some nice roots.
I would think if one bareroots a tree you would want to do the repot on the same day actualy. You keep them wet with towels or so till next day?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How often are maples having this technique applied to them re-potted? Do you let the roots run for a few years or are you cutting them back annually? Thanks!

This one was last worked on 2 years ago. It was planted in a grow box and the let grow - no pinching or pruning - just strong growth. I think he may have executed a couple of air layers.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
some nice roots.
I would think if one bareroots a tree you would want to do the repot on the same day actualy. You keep them wet with towels or so till next day?

Well, I think we all would have preferred that. But we ran out of time at the end of the day. It's standing in a few inches of water - enough to cover the roots.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are some pictures of the rest of the process.

Eliminating roots beneath the trunk.
image.jpeg

Selecting roots. Prune upward and downward growing roots, roots coming off at the wrong angle, and roots growing from the wrong level.
image.jpeg

Scott

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg

Indeed it does!

No, my grafts were the Ume I tried. However I gotta give whoever put that Shimpaku graft on credit, it appears to be growing! Putting my name on it is just too funny! I'm thinking it's Gino Vo.

Anyway, it's a good joke! Kudos to whoever came up with that one!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
View attachment 91287

Indeed it does!

No, my grafts were the Ume I tried. However I gotta give whoever put that Shimpaku graft on credit, it appears to be growing! Putting my name on it is just too funny! I'm thinking it's Gino Vo.

Anyway, it's a good joke! Kudos to whoever came up with that one!

We were all admiring your amazing bonsai skills - that you could successfully graft a juniper to a plum tree is very inspiring.

If it was a joke, I'm fairly sure that it's possible that no one in the intensive may or may not have known anything about it. And you can almost be sure that Boon would very likely have not
condoned such hilarity if such a suggestion was made - it's all business here.

Perhaps Daisaku did it. He was looking sheepish at dinner.

Scott

Scott

Last edited:
Top Bottom