Collected Hawthorn History

I wish I had one tree remotely close to this good looking, I'd even settle for half as good as I take another look.

The work I haven't shared yet was the removal of two significant branches; one at the trunk, and another shortened by 50%. I asked for critiques from a couple pros at the '14 Nationals, and received feedback about the three upright branches having little taper, movement, and variance in thickness.

Two other pros I study with talk about refining "finished" bonsai in 5-7 year cycles, each cycle culminating in a better show-ready bonsai. After a couple years showing the tree in a finished state; including receiving the 2012 John Naka award, appearing on the cover of the Journal is the ABS, and showing at the '14 Nationals, I decided to get back to work and spend 5-7 years to take it to the next level. I liked the size and profile, and didn't want to change it into something unrecognizable, but did want to correct some things to make it a better bonsai. In 2014, here is what I did:
IMG_7611.JPG IMG_7614.JPG IMG_7612.JPG IMG_7613.JPG IMG_7610.JPG
So, for obvious reasons, I have not shared many photos of the tree over the last 2 years as replacement branches have been trained into position. It's about halfway back, and it should present a better leafless bonsai in a few years. Now:
IMG_7604.JPG

Last edited:
Great info you are passing on, thanks for sharing that. I am learning that big adjustments need to be made as the trees mature. This is a great example of taking a tree to the next level.

Good thing I didn't try to get 3 years between repots; nearly had to bust the pot to get it out after 2.
The depth requirement of this tree makes pot selection really tough. It's a tad too big for the standard 6 cm, and 9 is too deep. So I can moss up to make it work. "New" pot this time around; cream glaze with the heavy patina look I was going for last time; Suishoen, vintage Japanese.
IMG_8542.JPG IMG_8543.JPG IMG_8544.JPG IMG_8545.JPG IMG_8546.JPG

Well, that was a nice read from start to finish. First time I have seen this tree, so it really was lovely to see. Thank you for the great info and pics for progression.

Looking at the waterfall of roots in the third photo, I suspect it liked it's previous home very much!! Are you planning on "showing" it this year? You did mention "depth requirements", is this more about the trunk dimensions,(it's a beauty!)? Or is it more a matter of horticultural requirements? With this volume of root growth in a relatively short time, would you look to increase re-pot frequency?

Pool open already?!?!:( I'm about ready to lace up the Tacks, grab the Sherwood and a puck and go for a twirl.....it was EIGHT DEGREES this morning!!!!:(:(

Can't wait to see this tree with some more maturity and awash in blooms!!!:cool::cool:

Are you planning on "showing" it this year? You did mention "depth requirements", is this more about the trunk dimensions,(it's a beauty!)? Or is it more a matter of horticultural requirements? With this volume of root growth in a relatively short time, would you look to increase re-pot frequency?

Pool open already?!?!:( I'm about ready to lace up the Tacks, grab the Sherwood and a puck and go for a twirl.....it was EIGHT DEGREES this morning!!!!:(:(

Can't wait to see this tree with some more maturity and awash in blooms!!!:cool::cool:
No specific plans to show it yet, just need to get it back into a shallower container. The depth requirements are all about the trunk size; it's sitting flat on the bottom of the pot, and it needs just about another 1/2" of pot height for the planting depth to be "right", but I've had no luck yet in finding a 7-7.5cm deep pot.

Pool's not open yet, but my son and his buddy tried to convince me it was ok last week, wouldn't listen so I let them jump in; 64*f. They didn't last long!

I have just read the "story" of this excellent tree!
This is what bonsai is about : taking the tree/living art to the next level!
I adore the fall color of foliage!
Have you ever had the tree flowering, may I ask?

@Brian Van Fleet Every time I see this tree from the first time you posted it here (or at least from when I got here in 2008) and on FB the other day I can't help but say it's my favorite tree. It's so peaceful and does what I said on another thread, it transports me. Maybe one day I will get to see it in person. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wow only just found this thread, and to repeat what everyone has already said - that is one beautiful tree!!
Makes me want to go out and find some much better material to start working with.

Mr. Van Fleet, I have just read your post "The cycle continues" at your blog.
From all the comments of Mrs. Kathy and Mr. Boon you have listed, there is one which I cannot understand quite well. It is Mrs. Kathy's # 4 : "•Edge of stand, edge of pot, and upper branches show too much repetition."
Could you kindly clarify this for me?
Thank you!

I am super happy you are making those moves.
My, this, whatever, tree, with that trunk, totally deserves these efforts.

55032026.jpg

Sorce

I had the great fortune of seeing this tree in 2014 at nationals. I think you made some hard decisions and gutsy moves, but in the end it will be an even greater tree. No guts, no glory. Good move, and I think you will be happy with the results in the end Brian. Keep us posted, this is one of my favorites in your collection.

Chris

Maybe one day I will get to see it in person.

Clyde, I have seen this tree, Alabama Bonsai Society 2012, it is amazing work that Brian has done with it.

It's so peaceful

I also meet Brian at the first ABS show that I went to, if you meet him you would understand where the Peaceful comes from. He is a very kind and talented young man that has not allowed his gift to go to his head, he remains a humble down to earth guy!

@Brian Van Fleet Every time I see this tree from the first time you posted it here (or at least from when I got here in 2008) and on FB the other day I can't help but say it's my favorite tree. It's so peaceful and does what I said on another thread, it transports me. Maybe one day I will get to see it in person. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Last year I was fortunate to meet Brian (so friend and down to Earth) on short notice and view this Hawthorn; it's a really cool tree. Inexperienced and exhausted from my drive, I did not take any good pictures. Perhaps, another day I'll get to see it at a show.

Brian, thanks for showing all of us what is possible with lots of hard work and determination. It is a lot of encouragement when we can see what is possible. Hats off to you for your great tree but most of all for your taking the time and making the effort to share it's story and to let us learn from your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom