Cold greenhouse drip trays...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now I plan on getting some boot trays that were suggested to me from members of this forum. It's an hour and a half drive to get them...so I drug my feet.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home-Majestic-15-in-x-30-in-Black-Boot-Tray-MT1000019US/202280471/

My question is...for my smaller bonsai. I am contemplating individual drip trays. Are the plastic bonsai related trays...heavy duty to withstand colder temps...setting it around 30F but, if we lose power...it may dip into cooler temps.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Actually...only one really needs it's own drip tray...my cherry that is a cascade. I need the branches off the ground and out of the drip tray area. So a smaller individual tray would be best.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They sell drip trays in the garden centers in Wal mart and home depot. They would be your cheapest bet. All they have to do is catch water right Darlene?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use these in my house and In my wintering quarters. The plant sits on top of the grid. What ever you use make sure you elevate the pot with something so it does not sit in water. You can get some very unsightly calcium deposits on the feet by spring time.
http://www.amazon.com/Double-plant-Watering-Plant-Humidity/dp/B007PG28I4

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can use something as cheap as cut pieces of a 2x4 to place the pot on to keep it elevated.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can use something as cheap as cut pieces of a 2x4 to place the pot on to keep it elevated.

I have a few in nursery pots...I don't care about a calcium ring...but, should they be raised as well? So they don't sit in water maybe? Thanks for the tip for the cheap route. Might have to purchase a few from the link you attached. For my potted bonsai trees. Just because they would make sure to keep them raised with no fear of otherwise.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's cheap to raise them up. Then you know the roots won't be rotting in case you have too much water in the tray.

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Old cafeteria trays work well, sturdier and less expensive than the boot trays.

Tom

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is the purpose for the trays? Is the surface they will rest on worthy of protection from water? I think of greenhouses as a place where water runs out of the pots and drains to the open ground below.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What is the purpose for the trays? Is the surface they will rest on worthy of protection from water? I think of greenhouses as a place where water runs out of the pots and drains to the open ground below.

It's a raised enclosed gazebo that used to house a hot tub. Converted into a cold greenhouse. So...floors. So I wish to catch runoff...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another cheap idea is using water heater pans from Home Depot. Very large and cheap. Back in plumbing. They come in a 4x4 feet size I have used before. They are also great when repotting to keep the mess contained. Example below.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Camco-30-i...e-Drain-Pan-with-PVC-Fitting-20752/204220159/

Rubbing hands together...so going to pick up some on my next trip there! Thanks for the suggestion! I have a preschool supply tray similar. But, would hate to use it and get it mucked with garden stuff when I need it for my preschool Sunday school class. This looks very similar to what I have...yet I wouldn't feel guilty since it's purchased for the purpose of repotting.

Last edited:

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Darlene I often will use the aluminum pie tins and roasting pans from my local food and dollar store. Love your new "best" room. Enjoy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene I often will use the aluminum pie tins and roasting pans from my local food and dollar store. Love your new "best" room. Enjoy

Doug...aren't you the creative one! And thanks for the kind words. :eek: I've ones who said...they can fit a bed in there even with the shelving... Lol and want to know when it's for rent.(12' gazebo I think my husband said it was. I had it mentioned on an older post. I'll go check)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doug...aren't you the creative one! And thanks for the kind words. :eek: I've ones who said...they can fit a bed in there even with the shelving... Lol and want to know when it's for rent.(12' gazebo I think my husband said it was. I had it mentioned on an older post. I'll go check)

Can't find that thread now...it was either 12 or 16 foot. It's big enough for me to play around in. That makes it a perfect size.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol Darlene, you really make these things harder than they need to be.

Anything the right size can be used as a drip tray. I have regular plastic saucer drip trays used for house plants under two of my tropicals, a square tupperware dish under another, a square plastic drawer organizer under another. Whatever works, you really dont need to overthink it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol Darlene, you really make these things harder than they need to be.

Anything the right size can be used as a drip tray. I have regular plastic saucer drip trays used for house plants under two of my tropicals, a square tupperware dish under another, a square plastic drawer organizer under another. Whatever works, you really dont need to overthink it.

Not really...I just realized I was planning on using glass on two. Not to over thought at all...since it could freeze in all likely hood. :rolleyes: Notice no glass was suggested by posters. :p it was an ah-ha moment when I brought two in from bad winds.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would never have considered glass myself in a cold application, both for the temperature reasons and for the fact that plastic is so much cheaper. Aluminum pie plates are also a good idea.

Top Bottom