This warm weather...and possibly 75 Tuesday...is having things moving in the cold greenhouse.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Same here...

Grimmy

My landscape I am trying to not let bother me. It is what it is...and it will survive. Just lack a spring show. My cone flowers...Unsure if I will need to replant them. If they are coming up now. It's a large are next to the house I am not sure I want barren. It's a buzz around here of thinks waking early. Even my vine on the back pergola...is swelling. The bonsai...don't stress me with my ability to keep them comfortable...but...outside this early. Has me scratching my head.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The lowest temp I see on my ten day is 30. The garage is 60 now. Should I be putting my plants out today? I work from home and can just watch for temps on the 20s to tuck them back away. Is 30 too low?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Consider covering the cone flora with a planket perhaps...

Grimmy

You think it will draw moisture? I am pondering...a sheet and a tarp over it to protect moisture. I just don't know...Snow and ice surely will come...we have had more ice than our share of snow this winter.

My Aussie is blowing her coat as well. Everything is confused...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The lowest temp I see on my ten day is 30. The garage is 60 now. Should I be putting my plants out today? I work from home and can just watch for temps on the 20s to tuck them back away. Is 30 too low?
Is it colder outside than inside? My inside temps are cooler than outside...so mine is in the cold greenhouse. We still have winter to come. To wake them up...isn't good either. Unless they are moving already...like my quince was. I am trying to avoid the rest from waking...but it's only a matter of time. It's so nice out...and humid from the rain in the past few days. It's nuts!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You think it will draw moisture? I am pondering...a sheet and a tarp over it to protect moisture. I just don't know...Snow and ice surely will come...we have had more ice than our share of snow this winter.

My Aussie is blowing her coat as well. Everything is confused...

I am just going by what Crystal has done in the past for larger flats of similar plantings at the old place. The point was to keep them from warming and freezing keeping them dark and shaded. A couple of Winters ago we also covered bulbs that popped with freezes coming. For those I use old plastic nursery pots and a stone on top to hold it in place. I just know it works if needed :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am just going by what Crystal has done in the past for larger flats of similar plantings at the old place. The point was to keep them from warming and freezing keeping them dark and shaded. A couple of Winters ago we also covered bulbs that popped with freezes coming. For those I use old plastic nursery pots and a stone on top to hold it in place. I just know it works if needed :)

Grimmy

The area is to large for pots...so she what laid a blanket over them...when the temps got cold? Or even when it was warm? You say from warming and freezing.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The area is to large for pots...so she what laid a blanket over them...when the temps got cold? Or even when it was warm? You say from warming and freezing.

For a larger planting like a flat in the ground she got a blanket called a planket at the farm supply. It keeps them from light and the cooling from the earth in. Not sure what they are made of etc... BUT if we had a warm spell to early in Spring she would toss it over them and keep it in place with bricks and stones until any danger of frost passed. We don't have the same space to need that now but it was effective.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is it colder outside than inside? My inside temps are cooler than outside...so mine is in the cold greenhouse. We still have winter to come. To wake them up...isn't good either. Unless they are moving already...like my quince was. I am trying to avoid the rest from waking...but it's only a matter of time. It's so nice out...and humid from the rain in the past few days. It's nuts!

You nailed it 10 degrees cooler in garage so they stay inside. I have some time off early next week though. It’s going to be hard to resist putting them out after I set up the new display area.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You nailed it 10 degrees cooler in garage so they stay inside. I have some time off early next week though. It’s going to be hard to resist putting them out after I set up the new display area.

Just imagine the work your creating if you wake them early. I wouldn't force their early wake. Once awake...you got that two step.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to bring my stuff out. Rookie mistake I'm sure but I'm prepared for the work which may follow.
Then we went for a 75 degree motorcycle ride:( amazing weather today after months of Sub-Human temps.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For whatever reason many of mine packed into the north foundation are coming alive. Wasn't ready yet but...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had to bring my stuff out. Rookie mistake I'm sure but I'm prepared for the work which may follow.
Then we went for a 75 degree motorcycle ride:( amazing weather today after months of Sub-Human temps.
We are to have temps drop and snow move in...for NE Ohio...were your trees still dormant when you set them out?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing below freezing in our central Ohio forecast for 10 days. I have buds moving on many and the evergreens could stand it so... Needed to clear out the winter storage space for the new patio job, And I just needed to see them back around the pond. Right or wrong...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
68 degrees at 9pm in February... heck mushrooms (morel) will start popping soon?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
need a DIS-like button... LOL

Top Bottom