BONSAI SPRING FESTIVAL, WASHINGTON, DC MAY 10-12, 2024

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trees in all of the pavilions (Japanese, Chinese and North American) and the viewing stone collection, are unmatched in the U.S. I you've not seen them, make the trip for that alone, as it is prime time for their growth and flowering.
That is part of the reason. Last time I was there was winter (Nick Lenz special exhibit) and most of the collection was stored in winter mode. Seeing it in full swing, probably in the best state of maintenance for this show, would make a very nice addition. And just sitting in the gardens for a few hours, away from work, would add to me relaxing.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Completely off topic (as I frequently am ) does any else think Mach5 has one of the most charming smiles imaginable? My dad would have said he has something to hide. ;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, too bad we are visiting DC the week of the 19th, too late for this event....:( Sounds like a good event.
It's worth the trip over to S.E. DC to see the National Arboretum and the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum anyway 😁 It's consistently on the "Best Things to Do in Washington DC" lists and it's free.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah, too bad we are visiting DC the week of the 19th, too late for this event....:( Sounds like a good event.

You'll be there in prime azalea time, and the museum has quite the collection of azaleas. Volunteers usually spend the next several weeks removing spent flower buds 😅

good enough. See you there!

do you know who I need to ask permission to film the events?

I don't know the specific official rules, but informally nobody minds if you're photographing/filming things that are on exhibition. The museum staff will call security to shoo you away if you're doing a photoshoot (which is remarkably common at the museum, especially for cosplayers)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'll be there in prime azalea time, and the museum has quite the collection of azaleas. Volunteers usually spend the next several weeks removing spent flower buds 😅

I don't know the specific official rules, but informally nobody minds if you're photographing/filming things that are on exhibition. The museum staff will call security to shoo you away if you're doing a photoshoot (which is remarkably common at the museum, especially for cosplayers)
Cosplayer photoshoots? Too funny. 🤣

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I assume they're dressed as Japanese anime characters, and they're there to pose in a Japanese garden?

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Seriously, happens all the time. It's common enough that when they show up on my volunteering shift, I don't look unless someone says it's an especially good cosplay. To be fair, if you're doing any kind of anime or Asian character, the museum has excellent scenery for it. The moon gate going into the Chinese pavilion is kinda perfect for it. Second most common for photoshoots is women in full traditional kimonos. On a slow day (I volunteer on Tuesdays), they're usually a little slow to call security if nobody's causing problems

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume they're dressed as Japanese anime characters, and they're there to pose in a Japanese garden?
There are other areas in the Arboretum that likely draw LARPERS and cosplay as well--the original Capitol Building columns up on the hill come to mind. 🤣

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are other areas in the Arboretum that likely draw LARPERS and cosplay as well--the original Capitol Building columns up on the hill comes to mind. 🤣

They'd be great for LARPers. The only better place I can think of would be the Capital Stones

Edit: apparently the NPS started removing them in 2022 😢

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They'd be great for LARPers. The only better place I can think of would be the Capital Stones

Edit: apparently the NPS started removing them in 2022 😢
Wow. Too bad most of those stones are enormous and heavy or I'd be up there putting stuff in the truck. I have a Revolutionary war era plantation site less than a mile away that also has some of the original carved limestone pillar pediments. They'd make awesome bases for bonsai stands, but they weigh over 800 lbs each.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's worth the trip over to S.E. DC to see the National Arboretum and the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum anyway 😁 It's consistently on the "Best Things to Do in Washington DC" lists and it's free.
Oh For sure we have a day set aside for visiting the Arboretum! Wouldn't miss it, it's been a few decades so it should be interesting to see the changes. I imagine the collection has only gotten better. Now if I can just get someone to sneak me into the container room.... LOL.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Completely off topic (as I frequently am ) does any else think Mach5 has one of the most charming smiles imaginable? My dad would have said he has something to hide. ;)
I think it completely matches the rest of the man. (and usually the shoes too, but lately, I've seen more tennys...)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh For sure we have a day set aside for visiting the Arboretum! Wouldn't miss it, it's been a few decades so it should be interesting to see the changes. I imagine the collection has only gotten better. Now if I can just get someone to sneak me into the container room.... LOL.
The place has been under an extensive remodel, particularly the Japanese collection area--lots of stone added and displays updated. I believe that remodeling project begun in 2020 is continuing. There are quite a few new trees donated by Japanese growers as well.

Top Bottom