Potomac Bonsai Association Spring Festival 2014

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for posting the pictures - sorry I missed it. Perfect weather this weekend too :(

I wish more people with better trees put them in the exhibit. A lot of those trees seemed to be in training for less than two years - or worse, that maple seedling that was dropped into a pot probably a week or two ago. I've seen much better trees in collections around the area. Oh well.
Agreed. And this was better than last year. This is one of the items I urged the rest of the PBA BoD that we needed to improve. I think we lag many other regions in terms of quality of trees displayed. Since we dont ID tree's owners any longer, I dont even know who from my own club showed trees. I know several from NVBS, and one even took 3rd in the best of show.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
one day you and me and my buddy Jim will have to spend a few hours behind the scenes and you can get the low down.
I also talked with Ron Lang about a pot I got from RockM. He said Rock was there Saturday, and is doing well. Just dropped off the Bnut lifestyle because of all the controversy, egos, self-important personas, etc. I get it.

I will gladly accept that invitation as long as I can hold you to it! Glad to hear Mark is still out there. Would love to bump into him one day. Maybe at Bob and Todd's.

Seriously though, let me know and I'll arrange my schedule accordingly.

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lordy...Yes got it from the folks from NC..couldn't help to not support my born state vendor.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for posting the pictures - sorry I missed it. Perfect weather this weekend too :(

I wish more people with better trees put them in the exhibit. A lot of those trees seemed to be in training for less than two years - or worse, that maple seedling that was dropped into a pot probably a week or two ago. I've seen much better trees in collections around the area. Oh well.
I've been thinking about this for a couple of years. I think what I have decided from talking with a few veterans around DC is that the Arboretum's Bonsai Museum sets the bar so high that many less-experienced bonsai people are simply intimidated by trees that evoke awe. Been there, felt that way myself years ago. Finally I realized that my trees would never attain that level of refinement due to many reasons, so I just did my best and enjoyed the
pastime. I wish more people were able to either do better, or just at least show something to prove they tried. On the other hand, there are those who bump along for 20 years and their stuff should be way better than it is...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I agree. I like seeing newbie trees but the draw should be to present the best available to advance the hobby/art.

I've been asked to enter a few of my trees in our local show but I feel none of them is ready. Some members think otherwise and seeing some show pics posted here, maybe some of mine are.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't showed a tree at the PBA show yet, but two thoughts on why people might not be showing trees:

1. I thought that maybe people shied away in prior years because names were listed on the tree cards. That practice seems to have stopped, but I would not want to show any trees if that was the case.

2. Is the Arboretum lending out stands for the exhibited trees? I thought I heard that they used to but now no longer do so. While I'd like to show a tree some day, frankly I'm not going to go out and spend the high price to buy a stand just to exhibit a tree for three days. It's too bad, as the Arboretum has tons of stands that are in storage.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't showed a tree at the PBA show yet, but two thoughts on why people might not be showing trees:

1. I thought that maybe people shied away in prior years because names were listed on the tree cards. That practice seems to have stopped, but I would not want to show any trees if that was the case.

2. Is the Arboretum lending out stands for the exhibited trees? I thought I heard that they used to but now no longer do so. While I'd like to show a tree some day, frankly I'm not going to go out and spend the high price to buy a stand just to exhibit a tree for three days. It's too bad, as the Arboretum has tons of stands that are in storage.
Regarding the identifying of tree ownership, I tend to feel it would increase quality if people had to "sign" their work. It might just make them go the extra distance to make it that much better. It might be the case that if owners were known, tree theft might increase. Just an idea I heard in discussion.
Stands are not really used outdoors in the Chinese pavilion due to being in the weather. Even though some people brought them, it is a difficult job watering with a hose and having to lean way over the barricade ropes to lift a 60 lb. root over rock off it's furniture-grade stand so it doesnt get damaged by water. When the show was in the auditorium in the Admin Bldg, there were no barricades, and watering was done with small watering cans or bottles. Many times the trees were lifted onto a cart where the watering was done, then placed back on the display tables.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are stands required to display trees at the show? I thought they were an absolute requirement?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are stands required to display trees at the show? I thought they were an absolute requirement?
Negative. Especially outdoors. Indoors they are recommended, but I remember starting out that I had no stands and used roll-up bamboo mats. Sure, it's always better to use a complimentary stand.
On the otherhand, I saw a tree on a stand this weekend that did not compliment the tree at all, in fact, to me it was a distraction. The color of the stand actually clashed with the pot. I'm sure that happens more than I know, but I've not noticed it like that before.
Another veteran now makes his own stands of copper sheets and bends and then finishes them. Kind of industrial looking but the design is suitable and unobtrusive and it works, in my opinion.

Top Bottom