Bonsai fungis

lperschk

Seed
Reaction score
I purchased a Gensing Grafted Ficus tree that is 6 years old from Amazon (through Brussel’s Bonsai). The Amazon delivery guy left it on the front porch when we were out of town for a couple of days. It was exposed to temperatures below 40°. I believe it was 17° so it’s been a month and it’s lost most of its leaves. I just noticed that it has some white fungus growing on the bark. See the attached pictures. I purchased some organic Bonsai food and gave it a little bit in the soil area. I also have watered and spritzed the limds to moisten them 2 times per week since it was delivered. I have it in a very sunny location. Should I expect this tree to come back or will it die?

Attachments

• IMG_4195.jpeg
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 43

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd be willing to bet the tree was already dead when you found it. If it suddenly froze, then the leaves would be dead but still green, like frozen green vegetables. To know for sure, I would need to see pictures of the whole tree. It would also help if you put your location in your profile.

Lastly, I'm assuming you mean 17°F and not 17°C, since a ficus would have no problem with temperatures between 17°C and 40°C. This is an international forum, so both are used, and it's important to clarify which.

lperschk

Seed
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet the tree was already dead when you found it. If it suddenly froze, then the leaves would be dead but still green, like frozen green vegetables. To know for sure, I would need to see pictures of the whole tree. It would also help if you put your location in your profile.

Lastly, I'm assuming you mean 17°F and not 17°C, since a ficus would have no problem with temperatures between 17°C and 40°C. This is an international forum, so both are used, and it's important to clarify which.
I am in Brighton, Michigan (U.S.) and yes I meant 17 Degrees Fahrenheit. Sorry. See the image of my tree which had only 4 green leaves. The end of a few limbs look like there might be a bloom. This is my first Bonsai tree.

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 40

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am in Brighton, Michigan (U.S.) and yes I meant 17 Degrees Fahrenheit. Sorry. See the image of my tree which had only 4 green leaves. The end of a few limbs look like there might be a bloom. This is my first Bonsai tree.

Definitely dead.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this got to 17 F for more than a couple of hours, it's dead. Ficus is a tropical plant species native to areas that experience no cold weather. It has no winter hardiness defenses or capabilities for temps below 32. While a frost may not have been fatal, such a deep freeze is. It cannot stand freezing, especially if the roots get frozen all the way through the pot, which is likely at that temperature.

Top Bottom