Newbie to Bonsai, any of this have potential to be air layered?

ForeverRaynning

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hopefully this is the right subforum. I made a post in the ‘new to bonsai’ section and got some suggestions to try cuttings and air layering to propegate some local trees/plants whilst I wait on my seeds.

I went and had a look at the beech hedge we have and took some pictures, these are just some chunky bits I found, I have no idea what to really look for. Can see where they’ve been cut back before, 2 pictures are of the same piece just differant angles (marked in blue), noticed they seemed to have leaves on around the cut pieces which caught my attention. Its hard to take photos and also picture what a piece would look like off the hedge (or woth non-dead leaves!), its quite dense too so hard to see it from many angles, some of these pics I’m not even sure what parts I was specifically looking at (they’re relatively dense hedges, lots of smaller branches and old leaves busying up the pictures, maybe I need to photoshop the surroundings out).

I understand its probably difficult to work out if something would look good when its just a 2D photo, but i don’t want to be going after large chunks like this if they aren’t suitable, maybe the cut ends are an issue, maybe they’re too chunky, maybe the ‘trunk’ shape would just look odd, I have no idea.

Any input would be appreciated (but please keep criticism and comments as gentle as you can if possible). I may be going about this completely wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_9166.jpeg
    IMG_9166.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9167.jpeg
    IMG_9167.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9168.jpeg
    IMG_9168.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9169.jpeg
    IMG_9169.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 36

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It's even harder to interpret photos than it is to take them but layers of Beech are possible and you can sometimes find worthwhile branches in hedges because they've been pruned frequently. The downside is that the previous chops have never been tidied up so it's likely you will have to cut back the ends again after the layers are well stablished.
From experience I've found that not all branches that look OK yield good bonsai. I've often looked at a layer after getting it into a pot and wondered why I ever thought it looked good. I now only bother to layer branches that look exceptional and hope they are sill reasonable when they get into the pot.
The layering process itself will give you better skills and experience so even if the branches don't end up as great bonsai you will still have gained something.
My advice is to search long and hard to fine the branches you see as best potential and just do those.
Look for: taper (or possibility to prune for taper), attractive bends (or possibility to prune to leave attractive bends), thickness, accessibility.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most if not all of the areas you pictured are dead stumps coming off the hedge so they are no good for trying to air layer.

As shuibui stated, try to find an attractive looking live branch or section to attempt to air layer.

Beech can be hard to air layer. Some experienced folks here have managed to do it so do a search. Timing of the air layer is important. It might not be the best thing for a new person to try though but with some reading, correct timing and technique, you have a decent chance.

ForeverRaynning

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Most if not all of the areas you pictured are dead stumps coming off the hedge so they are no good for trying to air layer.
Ah, this is very good to know! 😅 Probably better to look once the spring growth occurs so I know which parts are live and worth bothering with. I was mostly looking for thick branches that when removed wouldn’t leave too big a gap in the hedge, but I’m probably overlooking a lot of potential good branches doing that.

As for taper, I assume a lot of that will be towards the top. Will have to go back and look for more potential branches now I have a better idea. So ideally I want something that maybe hasn’t been chopped before, or at most, minimally pruned. Again, likely towards the top in that case as the base will have been chopped back more frequently/severely to keep its shape.

So I’m looking for taper, nice bends (will have to work out what makes a bend nice, I assume not too sharp and with no inverse taper or thickening at the site of the bend), ‘trunk’ thickness (are there any rules or equations for ideal thickness based on final height?), ease of access to perform the air layer and branches that are not dead (that's probably the most important!).

In my other post I was told the best time to air layer is after the new spring growth, once the leaves have hardened off. Which gives me time to do more research and gather supplies. The technique itself seems straightforward enough, and I have at least a basic understanding of the science behind it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully this is the right subforum. I made a post in the ‘new to bonsai’ section and got some suggestions to try cuttings and air layering to propegate some local trees/plants whilst I wait on my seeds.

I went and had a look at the beech hedge we have and took some pictures, these are just some chunky bits I found, I have no idea what to really look for. Can see where they’ve been cut back before, 2 pictures are of the same piece just differant angles (marked in blue), noticed they seemed to have leaves on around the cut pieces which caught my attention. Its hard to take photos and also picture what a piece would look like off the hedge (or woth non-dead leaves!), its quite dense too so hard to see it from many angles, some of these pics I’m not even sure what parts I was specifically looking at (they’re relatively dense hedges, lots of smaller branches and old leaves busying up the pictures, maybe I need to photoshop the surroundings out).

I understand its probably difficult to work out if something would look good when its just a 2D photo, but i don’t want to be going after large chunks like this if they aren’t suitable, maybe the cut ends are an issue, maybe they’re too chunky, maybe the ‘trunk’ shape would just look odd, I have no idea.

Any input would be appreciated (but please keep criticism and comments as gentle as you can if possible). I may be going about this completely wrong.
Why not just dig up and plant in grow box?

ForeverRaynning

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don’t need the whole plant and want to try and airlayer to learn the technique as was suggested to me. Its also my parents hedge we share with a neighbour and not sure how pleased they’d be with me taking the whole thing. 😅

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah, this is very good to know! 😅 Probably better to look once the spring growth occurs so I know which parts are live and worth bothering with. I was mostly looking for thick branches that when removed wouldn’t leave too big a gap in the hedge, but I’m probably overlooking a lot of potential good branches doing that.

As for taper, I assume a lot of that will be towards the top. Will have to go back and look for more potential branches now I have a better idea. So ideally I want something that maybe hasn’t been chopped before, or at most, minimally pruned. Again, likely towards the top in that case as the base will have been chopped back more frequently/severely to keep its shape.
Yes, but you might find something lower that looks nice so don't overlook anything.

So I’m looking for taper, nice bends (will have to work out what makes a bend nice, I assume not too sharp and with no inverse taper or thickening at the site of the bend), ‘trunk’ thickness (are there any rules or equations for ideal thickness based on final height?), ease of access to perform the air layer and branches that are not dead (that's probably the most important!).

Yes, a nice gentle movement for interest. Ram rod straight trunks aren't interesting. Smaller branches can be replaced. Good movement and taper are what you are looking for first. There are eneral guidelines for base size vs height of the tree but I wouldn't worry about those over good movement and taper. There are few absolutes in bonsai.

In my other post I was told the best time to air layer is after the new spring growth, once the leaves have hardened off. Which gives me time to do more research and gather supplies. The technique itself seems straightforward enough, and I have at least a basic understanding of the science behind it.
Yes, the more you know, the more confident you can be in attempting this.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The branches I can see appear to be alive. Some have green starting to emerge from the buds, others are swollen ready to open. There are some dead stubs but that's no real concern at this stage.

Actually, taper can often be a result of pruning. Taper can also be enhanced by pruning the main trunk back to a thinner side branch so don't just concentrate on the main branch line. Try to follow different paths along the main trunk then onto smaller side branches which will usually give both taper and a bend.

One of the problems you may find as a result of regular pruning will be reverse taper, especially near the trimmed ends where the branches have lots of smaller shoots growing close together.
It's unlikely you'll find perfect branches. What you are looking for are the basic bare bones of the lower trunk and possibly one or 2 lower branches. It is normal to have to chop the main trunk and/or branches and grow much of the branching and crown of your new tree after it has good roots and has recovered from transplant.

Top Bottom