Would you do bonsai if it was normal?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A psychological thought experiment. Imagine every other person around you had this hobby. Actually, they all have great trees, thousands of years old Junipers from seed and all that. Youd never meet anyone who is impressed by your trees. They have everything there might be.
Plainly, the idea is you can never show your work or boast to anyone about your trees, or if you do theyre not impressed, it does not make you remarkable or special in any way.

And if you still would pursue this hobby if no-one cared, would you do it differently?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Probably not. If I was constantly subjected to bonsai as a norm, I would grow tired of it, and find something more interesting. 🤣
-Edit. Find something else I know nothing about.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A psychological thought experiment. Imagine every other person around you had this hobby. Actually, they all have great trees, thousands of years old Junipers from seed and all that. Youd never meet anyone who is impressed by your trees. They have everything there might be.
Plainly, the idea is you can never show your work or boast to anyone about your trees, or if you do theyre not impressed, it does not make you remarkable or special in any way.

And if you still would pursue this hobby if no-one cared, would you do it differently?
Yes, I also don't care that nobody cares. I'm doing it for me. :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with the 2 prior comments but they did not address the entire issue as presented. Yes, I do it for my joy and I have no plans to show. That could change. If bonsai was very widespread and everyone was doing it, I would probably move on but I would still work with plants. If such a thing did come to pass I think it would cheapen all the aspects of the hobby. On the outside I think that I would make and sell more pots, but on the flip side, the level of pots would also come down and production would go up ...... same as it ever was.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I do it because I enjoy doing it. I don't care what anyone else thinks - in fact, I often avoid telling people about it if I don't think they'd understand/appreciate it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The reason I got into bonsai. Was for a sentimental tree that was a remembrance of my time in Honduras. So the answer would be yes... I would still do it.

As for what everyone else does. We all are aware...I roll to the beat of my own drum. My trees would still stand out most likely. 😉 as to what others thought. I've had many detest my material early on. I eat that stuff up like chocolate. So I say...bring it! HA!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with @Bonsai Nut
I don't do bonsai as a status symbol or to impress people.
I do bonsai because I enjoy it and I worry more about people seeing my trees so I don't go put of my way to show them off

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the question is, "Would I do bonsai if I were normal?" Probably not. There's a certain kind of mania associated with creating art, combined with an obsessiveness involved with compulsive horticultural acquisition. This is not 'normal' behavior. Actually, normal people are astounded by what we do with trees. Which of course, spurs the addiction.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wish bonsai were mainstream and I could run down to Target or Walmart and grab some akadama, pumice, and quality pots. Maybe grab some 2 mm wire at checkout next to the gum, beef jerky, and the soda cooler lol.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
creating art
Maybe people underestimate the extent to which these things are part of the hobby:
- standing out from the crowd, being different and therefore interesting:
This is not 'normal' behavior. Actually, normal people are astounded by what we do with trees. Which of course, spurs the addiction.

- Intelligence signaling because youre an artist (and even in a foreign art originally with a language barrier)
- having expert knowledge, some guys love to be experts

Probably not. If I was constantly subjected to bonsai as a norm, I would grow tired of it, and find something more interesting. 🤣
Yes, it was all very shiny when it was new. After becoming very familiar, much less interesting. Trying to find out what is still interesting exactly and how genuine it is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wish bonsai were mainstream and I could run down to Target or Walmart and grab some akadama, pumice, and quality pots. Maybe grab some 2 mm wire at checkout next to the gum, beef jerky, and the soda cooler lol.
2mm wire (aluminum mostly) is sold at most arts and crafts stores, in the floral section

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not making show worthy plants, I'm doing a hobby that I've been doing for 18 years now. I just added a whole bunch of 'normal' plants to my collection when I started trying to do bonsai and now I'm growing them into shapes instead of just growing and multiplying them.
Bonsai added a nice dimension to my love for plants, but that love was already there and will be there, even if bonsai wouldn't exist.

Top Bottom