Correct care for dwarf jade pre- bonsai

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
What substrate for small jade purchased for 2.50 at nursery. Do they mature faster than most,also can they survive in a bonsai mix 40 calcined clay-40 pumice-20 bark fines,and will they grow in that mix.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpeg
    IMG_0465.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0464.jpeg
    IMG_0464.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 31

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use 100% inorganic, nothing special though, whatever I happen to have on hand. They are succulents and don't need much water retention. They are very easy to care for.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
👆
+ your mix will be good.
Jades don’t require a lot of water, but it’s nice to know that when you do water it, it won’t stay wet for long and lead to rot.

are you sure that’s a dwarf Jade? Looks like common crassula ovata.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
are you sure that’s a dwarf Jade? Looks like common crassula ovata.
This is the problem with using common names for plants/trees. When someone says "dwarf jade" I wonder... "are they talking about a dwarf crassula? Or a completely different genus - portulacaria?"

portulacaria.jpg

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
This is the problem with using common names for plants/trees. When someone says "dwarf jade" I wonder... "are they talking about a dwarf crassula? Or a completely different genus - portulacaria?"

View attachment 542586
Searching high & low for a portulacaria. They’re the “jades” I remember from the 70s and nobody seems to have them anymore.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Searching high & low for a portulacaria. They’re the “jades” I remember from the 70s and nobody seems to have them anymore.
Probably because they are a tropical succulent. They're everywhere here, where they thrive. You can always buy online. 1 decent sized one and you'll never need to buy another.

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Probably because they are a tropical succulent. They're everywhere here, where they thrive. You can always buy online. 1 decent sized one and you'll never need to buy another.
I see the regular jades, not the miniature ones. Ah well. Such is life.

Empty Mountain

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see the regular jades, not the miniature ones. Ah well. Such is life.

Both places are out of stock but it's worth a shot to contact them, should be able to ship to wherever you are when they get more.

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a

Both places are out of stock but it's worth a shot to contact them, should be able to ship to wherever you are when they get

Both places are out of stock but it's worth a shot to contact them, should be able to ship to wherever you are when they get more.
It doesn’t have the species listed, but if they say jade. I assume it’s the regular jade.

Top Bottom