Which branch structure is "correct"?

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still don't quite understand what the "accepted" ramification structure is supposed to be on bonsai.

I've seen on various tutorials that pines should be grown so that the primary branch splits into two, those branches are split into two
and so on. The primary branch ends at the very first node. This idea is illustrated in the top picture.

I've also seen tutorials where a primary branch extends all the way to the end of a foliage pad and secondary branches
extend from the curves on the primary branch. This idea is illustrated in the bottom picture.

Horticulturally and aesthetically, are both of these branch structures correct? Is it species dependent?

Attachments

• BranchStructure.png
    BranchStructure.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 71

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I frequently end up with the first initially, but then the branches start crowding each other and crossing, so you have to do some branch selection, and end up with the latter shape.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
To me the top one looks more like a pad on a conifer where as the second one looks like a deciduous designed branch

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Trees have a pattern in which they grow. Some are alternate (elm). Some are opposite (maple). Don't fight what's there.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The bottom structure is preferred. The triangle shape vs the rounded outline. Branches should have a central leader, like a “trunk”.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still don't quite understand what the "accepted" ramification structure is supposed to be on bonsai.

I've seen on various tutorials that pines should be grown so that the primary branch splits into two, those branches are split into two
and so on. The primary branch ends at the very first node. This idea is illustrated in the top picture.

I've also seen tutorials where a primary branch extends all the way to the end of a foliage pad and secondary branches
extend from the curves on the primary branch. This idea is illustrated in the bottom picture.

Horticulturally and aesthetically, are both of these branch structures correct? Is it species dependent?
Ryan Neil discusses this in his "Bonsai detail wiring" video on YouTube. His examples more closely resemble your bottom picture.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In both those illustrations the branch splits into 2 at each joint so both are correct.
If you continue the first you"ll end up with a very short, wide branch. The bottom illustration allows some length and the option to shorten back to a side branch when it gets too long.
Branches are much like trunks except the smaller branches are along the sides rather than all round. In both cases you need to avoid bar branches. Even in opposite budding species like maples opposite branching should be avoided or you quickly end up with thickened spots on trunk and branches. Remove either side shoot or the centre one to maintain v shaped forks in opposite budding species..

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In another recent thread, @TomB posted this video by Peter Warren regarding candle pinching
However, 11:37 in the video, Peter talks about branch structure. His is one way, and I've seen other professionals and experts argue for other ways. But the basic premise is bifurcation from one to 2 to 4 to 8, etc.

Perhaps the tree's natural branching structure has something to do with it? Alternate leaf patterns will tend to have one main tapering branch with smaller branches coming off it, while opposite leaf pattern trees will bifurcate into many smaller branches. I suppose an argument could be made for both.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, it's species dependent.
ziggy 1.JPG
"I've also seen tutorials where a primary branch extends all the way to the end of a foliage pad and secondary branches
extend from the curves on the primary branch."
You're confusing the word "primary". There is a primary bud at the tip of each cluster of buds or leaves. It will be the first to grow in the next cycle of growth. I suppose you could say the same about a branch or sub-branch, too, that it ends in a primary bud or leaf, but the whole stem, twig, or branch does not have all primary buds or leaves.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, it's species dependent.
View attachment 298594

You're confusing the word "primary". There is a primary bud at the tip of each cluster of buds or leaves. It will be the first to grow in the next cycle of growth. I suppose you could say the same about a branch or sub-branch, too, that it ends in a primary bud or leaf, but the whole stem, twig, or branch does not have all primary buds or leaves.
Your diagram is meaningless. You just circled the forks.

This tree, an Ume, makes alternate buds:

3AAEB1F6-6A5B-4C07-87FE-8804FD0B9114.jpeg

There is a bud at the base of every leaf. The leaves grow along the stem, one at a time, on either side of the central stem. That’s “alternate”.

This tree has “opposite” buds:

F07CDE91-742E-4B5A-AAF7-653D5E3B9B73.jpeg

There’s two leaves at every node, one on each side. That’s “opposite”.

interestingly, they do alternate in orientation as the stem extends.The first pair might be oriented with an “up/down” pair, the next would have a “left/right” pair. Followed by another “up/down”, then a “left/right”, and so on.

I’ve observed oaks are “alternate”, but the leaves are oriented in a spiral. That is, one leaf might be on the bottom, the next leaf on the right, next on top, then on the left. Then it starts over with a bottom leaf, and the spiral continues on as the new stem grows.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Branch structure is not dependent on leaf arrangement. I can make both of those diagrams from either alternate or opposite budding species.
With opposite bud species like maples take out the centre shoot and grow the side buds to produce diagram 1 arrangement. Remove alternating side shoots or again remove the centre bud but this time let one of the side shoots grow longer while suppressing the other to produce diagram 2. I make sure all my maple branches are variants of diagram 2 as it produces the best looking branches that can easily be reduced when they get too long or too wide.

Primary when referring to branch structure refers to the main stem of the branch (equivalent to the trunk of the tree)
Secondaries are the smaller ones that branch off it. Tertiary ramification or branching are the shoots that divide off the secondary branches. Both patterns have primary , secondary and tertiary ramification.
Inkedbranching_LI.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
, it's species dependent

I appreciate how you corrected the diagram.
It's small things like that that can confuse the hell out of some folks. Seeing as how, it can create an impossibility in some instances.

I think it's also, maybe more so, position dependant.

What looks natural, is usually just branches moving into empty spaces.

Better to set the branch into an empty space than be confined by it's shape.

Sorce

Top Bottom