BEST OFF-LINE MAPS FOR YAMADORI COLLECTING

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would like to try and use a maps app that I can put on my phone or a small tablet so I can see good, clear pictures of an area, mark and name certain spots etc. Most of the land around me is either Forest Service or BLM, so not to much worried about private ownership. I have tried Osmond and did not get along with it at all. The program was not knowledgeable enough when asking to locate certain known spots, addresses, small towns etc in my area. I don't mind paying to get a better program either. Help appreciated

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes for sure! It is a great program. I wish it worked off-line, but it doesn't. I have to have something that works off-line as a lot of the places I go don't have service. A friend of mine sets up his maps on Google Earth and then transfers them to Gaia. He is way more tech orientated than I.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use CalTopo. I have the $50/year Pro plan for the extra layers but you could probably get by with the $20/year plan. You can download various layers depending on your needs: satellite views, topo maps, public lands, etc. And while you're out you can mark and save locations for future trips. When I'm at home I use the website on my laptop for planning. And the corresponding app when I'm out in the backcountry.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Gaia gps works great of line, I've not tried dropping pins but hiking around it works well

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok so I tried Gaia and onXmaps and liked onXmaps better and am now looking for the right notebook or iPad for this app. I have an old Lenovo that has a 8" screen with only 2 GB of ram. It is a bit slow and onXmaps suggests at least 4 GB of ram. I am not against a iPad if it will run smother and faster. I know they are more expensive but also believe they are a better product. I would like as small as possible as I will be carrying it where I go when looking or collecting. I will carry in a front facing pack.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use gps tracks pro, 19.99 a year. If you pre download the areas while you have signal it runs off gps the rest of the way. It tracks your trails, allows you to drop waypoints and plot trails. There is a free version you can try out before you buy.

Top Bottom