Best time of year to cut off sacrifice branch?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is that a sacrifice branch or a sacrifice trunk?
It does not seem to matter what time of year you prune a Chinese elm I assume that's what this is?
Where do you plan to cut this time?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless shading out needed part of tree, personally wait until after growth harden off for any added trunk growth it might add;). Unless developing Literati your tree needs ALL trunk growth possible to get😂.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian's right. The "right" time to cut off a sacrifice branch/trunk chop, etc. is when it has finished doing the job it's being sacrificed for--is the trunk diameter big enough for what you want to do. etc.? That is the question--if it has done that job, then it's time--the work can be done on a chinese elm now, or into the summer. Early spring is the best, as that gives time to heal the wound before winter dormancy.

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, the trunk is not big enough. But if I cut soon, won’t it stimulate lower branches that maybe I can develop while growing another sacrifice branch?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Well, the trunk is not big enough. But if I cut soon, won’t it stimulate lower branches that maybe I can develop while growing another sacrifice branch?
This is the way I prefer to develop bonsai trunks.
You can continue to grow and chop a many times as you want with or without sacrifice branches.
Regular chop and grow seems to give me much better taper and bends with smaller scars.
Even if it takes a little longer to get to the desired trunk thickness it will take years off the following stage of branch development and refinement.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First things first…what is your vision for the tree? A quick Google search will show many different styles. If you want a big fat trunk, you need big fat growth, no chopping. If you want a literati, it might be time to pick a new leader. At the end of the day, Chinese elm are forgiving and easy beginner trees, so you won’t get too far astray.
C68A162B-A876-4AC2-BADB-0F2305DAF9D7.jpg

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First things first…what is your vision for the tree? A quick Google search will show many different styles. If you want a big fat trunk, you need big fat growth, no chopping. If you want a literati, it might be time to pick a new leader. At the end of the day, Chinese elm are forgiving and easy beginner trees, so you won’t get too far astray.
View attachment 432409
I don’t think I even yet have first limbs, but something like third from the left on the bottom row would be good.

Top Bottom