When is best to move acorns into separate pots?

OneFeather

Seedling
Reaction score
I collected a bunch of acorns that have stratified. Most of them have sprouted and because I was in a rush (forgot they were in the fridge until way past the time to plant them) I planted them all in one big pot with some random soil I had. Luckily they continued to grow and sprout. Most are Red Oaks, one's a Pin Oak. I do not want to risk the tree's health severely by allowing the roots to tangle so much that immense damage becomes inevitable when trying to separate. I now have enough pots to plant each on their own. When can I take them out to stress them out the least since I just planted them a couple weeks ago?

Oaks can be transplanted at any time. A few weeks after sowing will not worry them. I've found you don't even need to be careful. I usually snip off the roots at transplant as that causes the seedling to develop lateral roots a bit closer to the surface and a bit quicker. I have even snipped the emerging root really short - just below the acorn - and they still grow and develop new roots.
I understand you are likely to be nervous about doing this so maybe just cut a couple so you can see that it works and see the difference it makes when you transplant next.

Oaks can be transplanted at any time. A few weeks after sowing will not worry them. I've found you don't even need to be careful. I usually snip off the roots at transplant as that causes the seedling to develop lateral roots a bit closer to the surface and a bit quicker. I have even snipped the emerging root really short - just below the acorn - and they still grow and develop new roots.
I understand you are likely to be nervous about doing this so maybe just cut a couple so you can see that it works and see the difference it makes when you transplant next.
You read my mind. I'll be doing this with most of the rubrums, but since only one pin oak made it through I'll leave that one for later. Thanks for the tips!

For what it's worth, I tend to move my oaks into separate pots in the following spring at the same time I'm repotting everything else. I have not tried cutting the roots on any oaks shortly after germination, but maybe this is the year to experiment.

For what it's worth, I tend to move my oaks into separate pots in the following spring at the same time I'm repotting everything else. I have not tried cutting the roots on any oaks shortly after germination, but maybe this is the year to experiment.
Thanks for the insight :)

If you try it out let me know how it goes! I'll try to remember to update here but feel free to ask me about it if you'd like in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom