Wiring help?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
can someone point me to any articles/videos on wiring? I made my first attempt yesterday and I think it's safe to say I failed lol
Thanks
Zac

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Deborah Koreshoff's book "Bonsai" has a great section on wiring. Lots of diagrams, and how to achieve the type of bend you are looking to make as well as how to move from branch to branch, and anchoring. Really great all around book anyway, but this is largely what I learned to wire from.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have pictures of your wiring so we can have a laugh too? :D Eurh, i mean give you some pointers.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Should be fairly reasonable if it's still in print... actually just looked 22.99 used on amazon. good deal.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I lied. I have one I took in the dark. I used i coated copper wire from the hardware store so it was really stiff and hard too get snug to the trunk. So I know it's really ugly there. But it served its purpose. The problem is... Well... It's really ugly! But here ya go. Laugh away lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 52

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best copper wire is sold by Jim Gremmel.

Julian Adams asked Gremmel how to do it!

Both are good guys, Gremmel's wire is softer. I've used both.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The best copper wire is sold by Jim Gremmel.

Julian Adams asked Gremmel how to do it!

Both are good guys, Gremmel's wire is softer. I've used both.
Yes this I knew.

Thing is, us newbs don't have trees that need/deserve the best wire, and Julians is also cheaper. I was going to buy gremmels but Julians was a bit cheaper and I figure I will buy gremmels when I have better trees.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I lied. I have one I took in the dark. I used i coated copper wire from the hardware store so it was really stiff and hard too get snug to the trunk. So I know it's really ugly there. But it served its purpose. The problem is... Well... It's really ugly! But here ya go. Laugh away lol
I have tree's with even worse quality wire and applyed worse ;) It kinda looks almost ok to me.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wanted to say that there is room for the branch to grow, but it looks like a acer/maple and they don't like wire.

p.s: Did i mention that im a newb also and me liking your wire isn't really worth anything :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I wanted to say that there is room for the branch to grow, but it looks like a acer/maple and they don't like wire.

p.s: Did i mention that im a newb also and me liking your wire isn't really worth anything :)
What do you mean when you say "they don't like wire"?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I brew my own wire. In a barbecue grill.
I thought about doing that.

One time while my fireplace was burning hot I thought I'd take some of my leftover electrical wire (very stiff) and coil it and put it in there. I did, took it out after a few and set it on the tile below it. After I thought it cooled, I touched it and gave myself a terrible burn ha. But, it came out considerably softer!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On the contrary, any good maple bonsai has had many many years of wiring to produce the desired look. You just have to be vigilant and remove it before it cuts in.

Top Bottom