Grewia Occidentallis - Wiring Help

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This will be my first time wiring my bonsai. I have read about the correct materials to use, but I am unsure where to start wiring and clean up my little tree. I would like to note I am also planning to repot on the same day as this is a hardy plant. Any advice would be awesome and I am planning on fixing it up next week before it is too late. Much appreciated

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Soo many YouTube’s on wiring. Take a peek.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Soo many YouTube’s on wiring. Take a peek.
Right, I am just unsure where to start. I've watched Herion's Bonsai videos for hours and I am still unsure what to do. So many crossing branches, a bunch of em are too close to one another but I don't know if I should prune, etc.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Wire from base. I’d Probably use a pair of wires to get going on some movement in the top and side branch. More wire for other side branches. Do you have a goal/style in mind dry or this tree.
simple suggestion.
CD90D3F4-B32C-4486-8282-AAE483A38AA1.jpeg
prune for silhouette. 😀

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wire from base. I’d Probably use a pair of wires to get going on some movement in the top and side branch. More wire for other side branches. Do you have a goal/style in mind dry or this tree.
simple suggestion.
View attachment 357562
prune for silhouette. 😀
I don't have a specific style yet in mind (two exams this week, a bit occupied) but I do enjoy the naturalistic look of trees in the woods behind me. Right now it looks more like a jumbled mess haha

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also, this plant was shipped to me from California almost three weeks ago and had to deal with darkness for a week and major overwatering. Is it safe to prune before the buds are done growing?

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
simple suggestion.
View attachment 357562
prune for silhouette. 😀
I might try to move the leading branch more upwards so it can grow up instead of to the side. It is sort of stumped where it is at and I wish for it to get taller

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok I think I figured it out. I am going to try and bend the lowest branch to dip more down-ward and shift the leading branch to face upward. From there I will wire the small branches for more of an umbrella-like look.

Top Bottom