Wire choice when wiring trees into pots

Bearded_Jiggs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This one is probably common sense but being the newbie I am I figured I'd field the question, does it matter what size wire you use when wiring your tree to its container? Being new, I purchased an aluminium wire set off Amazon for ten bucks, and it came with a small variety of sizes, the smallest in two colors (not fond of the green). I figured I could use the green to tie down my new projects, but wasn't sure if I should be using the larger sizes for stability. Just day-treeming really... :) Thanks for taking the time to read my nonsense!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The bigger the tree and pot, the larger the gauge of wire needed to adequately tie it in... and I've personally never seen color coded wire so I can't help you there. Do a search here for pics of trees being wired into the pots or something similar to gauge where you need to be with your given tree.

Bearded_Jiggs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah don't think its "color coded" think the green is just included for aesthetics. Thanks for the quick response!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a spool of aluminum electric fence wire. I think it was a 1000' spool. It is bright and shiny so I mostly use it for tie downs and keep the anodized stuff for wiring branches. It is 16 ga. with translates to ~1.3 mm. It is a bit on the small side but it works if you are careful. I have been known to double it up for larger trees.

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a spool of aluminum electric fence wire. I think it was a 1000' spool. It is bright and shiny so I mostly use it for tie downs and keep the anodized stuff for wiring branches. It is 16 ga. with translates to ~1.3 mm. It is a bit on the small side but it works if you are careful. I have been known to double it up for larger trees.

Dido. Cheaper, stronger, and less stretch compared to copper or aluminum. A 250’ roll on Amazon is $10.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
i use 1.5mm for wiring in, seems to give enough stability but my trees arent massive

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
can you anoidze the fence stuff to use on branches?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My last order I bought 1, 2, 3, and 4 mm aluminum wire rolls. I use the 2 for wiring them in the pots and a lot of other things. The 3 & 4 are good for thick branches and the 1 works well for small branches and twigs. If you need something intermediate then just double one of the other sizes and for really heavy duty bending use the 1 mm wire for guys wires.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use 17 ga. galvanized steel electric fence wire. I also have a spool of 16 ga, but it is a little harder to work and the 17 ga. is strong enough for almost any bonsai application.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use 17 ga. galvanized steel electric fence wire. I also have a spool of 16 ga, but it is a little harder to work and the 17 ga. is strong enough for almost any bonsai application.
Steel wire is pretty stiff. I’d use aluminum for tying trees in pots.

I use steel for guywires. Sometimes.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I also use 17 ga. electric fence wire. its stronger than Al., it doesn't stretch, and when its time to repot it has rusted away.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
can you anoidze the fence stuff to use on branches?

You could but it's not worth it. Except for the color there is nothing wrong with using it as is. Al fence wire is pretty small so it's really only usable on very small branches anyway.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a cheap green garden steel tie wire, PVC coating works fine I always have to remove it when repotting (2-5years).
8f99f962655cbbb09923add776032668.jpg

Ivan lopez

Seedling
Reaction score
Interesting question. Usually 1.5 mm aluminum for shohin trees, and 2-3 mm for larger trees.
So would you think to use aluminum in general for all trees (deciduous, conifer and pines) when wiring them into a pot?

Top Bottom