Wire Scars Look Natural

potatofarmer

Sapling
Reaction score
most of the bonsai dont look natural either. but they look cool.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Their is an example of a natural form everywhere in nature. But I personally have a hard time with wire scars and reverse taper.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first thought was that the wires weren't particularly effective - didn't curve the trunks for crap. :p
Can't agree with this at all. Wire can perform fine curves that can be produced no other way.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ve never really heard someone argue against wire scars from an appeal to nature…I think the problem is they’re ugly, as they are in these natural examples.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This damage happens all over the place here. Invasive Honeysuckle, bittersweet, wisteria, English Ivy, Trumpet vine, etc. all cause damage like this. It can cause tree death, particularly if the vines overtop the host tree and shades out the tree's leaves. That is one of the aims of aggressive growing vines--dominate the host, suppress growth and use the tree as scaffolding.

"Natural" can be very weird or downright ugly a lot of the time...Neither makes attractive bonsai.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a bunch of viney weeds that keep doing this to my landscape lilacs... While this does occur in nature, I still don't think it looks attractive. Wire scars happen to the best of us but I'll continue to do my best to avoid them.

Top Bottom