Wire biting in

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
So I've read that biting into a juniper might be enouraged, but just how much biting are we talking about? Time to take this off?

Front

20170727_183941.jpg

Back

20170727_190204.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beat me to it BVF- that wire is much too thin to do anything to that long vertical branch... So whether cut in or not, I'd remove it and get some bigger on there!

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Probably time to remove the wire in the straight-up trunk. Next time you wire it, bend it!

Beat me to it BVF- that wire is much too thin to do anything to that long vertical branch... So whether cut in or not, I'd remove it and get some bigger on there!

When the wire looks like it's flat on the bottom, it's time to take it off.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is a Blue Rug Juniper. It was originally laying down so I'm trying to lift it up.

Attachments

• 20170430_172622.jpg
    20170430_172622.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 71

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When the wire looks like it's flat on the bottom, it's time to take it off.
Excellent.
Is this the point the scarring will still easily disappear?
How do you cut though? I usually wait less long, and remove when I see the bark lifting below the wire, but is not near the widest point of the wire. Maybe 1/5 th of the wire is in the bark. Cutting is then still easy. I find it hard removing the wire after that, and often heve to clip into the bark too.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent.
Is this the point the scarring will still easily disappear?
How do you cut though? I usually wait less long, and remove when I see the bark lifting below the wire, but is not near the widest point of the wire. Maybe 1/5 th of the wire is in the bark. Cutting is then still easy. I find it hard removing the wire after that, and often heve to clip into the bark too.

Bro....

We don't cut...,

We unwind!

Sorce

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think "biting in" is regarded as a good indication that the branch has grown sufficiently to hold the new position.

The damage itself is in no way beneficial unless you want wire marks or plan to Jin that section. In some cases wire damage might increase bark texture but the result is obviously not uniform or desirable in most cases.

As stated prior, cutting off this wire can be frustrating and even more damaging.Watch out when unwinding If you decide to unwind, the bark+cambium layers between windings can peel from the underlying wood. When the cross section of the wire has been rolled over sufficiently by the cambium, they can get separated entirely or just at the edges where the wire was.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I said "flat on the bottom", I didn't mean for the wire to be halfway embedded, that's too deep. It will start to look "flat" before then.

Yes, unwinding wire is the way to go. As mentioned before, it's difficult to cut if it's buried in the wood.

Like any skill, it takes a bit of practice. Grab the end of the wire at the fishhook, and spin it in the opposite direction it was applied. The wire should lift straight out with minimal damage. Start with the smallest wires, working backwards to the "anchor" point. Then find the other end of that wire, and work it back towards the anchor until you can remove the whole piece of wire.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Not everyone.
I cut it.
And I don't use aluminum either.
If you're careful and have good cutters it's you're good to go.

I've never tried to actually use aluminum, but from what I've read and videos watched, and the little aluminum I've played around with I don't think I will ever use it, no matter the tree.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not everyone.
I cut it.
And I don't use aluminum either.
If you're careful and have good cutters it's you're good to go.
Aluminum has its place. When wiring soft deciduous branches that aren't yet lignified, it's great. That wire won't be on long, so it's a waste to use good annealed copper for that.

You really should try unwinding wire, Mike. You'll find it's easier than you think. When wire gets embedded, especially, it's better to unwind rather than try to cut it out. The heavy copper, gauge 10 and larger, yeah, cut that stuff.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I said "flat on the bottom", I didn't mean for the wire to be halfway embedded, that's too deep. It will start to look "flat" before then.

Adair I am having trouble visualizing. Does anyone have an example picture?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When wire gets embedded,
I try not to let it get that far. I hate wire scarring on any trees so I don't let it get that far.
I have had it happen and then the only way is to unwind it but other than that I cut.

Top Bottom