What is this bug pls

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was watering this recently purchased little juniper and saw these little crawling, worm like bugs all over the soil and crawling outside the pot etc. They look like centipedes' or something like that. I am guessing I need to soak the tree with an insecticide drench. Your advise is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6711.jpg
    IMG_6711.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6712.jpg
    IMG_6712.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6713.jpg
    IMG_6713.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 79

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
they look like young millipedes. If you use soil mixes with a lot of bark in them you'll get those. I don't think there is any need to kill them

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
they look like young millipedes. If you use soil mixes with a lot of bark in them you'll get those. I don't think there is any need to kill them
Hmmm. Yes, the nursery mix has a lot of wood in them. What do they eat? I still don't like them crawling around/spreading to my other trees plants and will get a drench and eliminate them. They don't make for a very sanitary/clean operation IMO.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hmmm. Yes, the nursery mix has a lot of wood in them. What do they eat? I still don't like them crawling around/spreading to my other trees plants and will get a drench and eliminate them. They don't make for a very sanitary/clean operation IMO.
They eat fungi and degraded organics.
If anything, they're beneficial.

Insecticides will not work on them as they're not insects. Safer to change the soil instead of treating them, because changing the soil will work.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
WGW beat me to it but they eat detritus. It's simply a matter of opinion, so drench away if you'd like but.. When I work on my trees I always make sure why I know why I'm doing the operation I'm doing. I think this is a great approach to the pests and beneficial insects as well. If you are going to slow a tree down and potentially damage it with harsh chemicals we should know exactly what the pests is and why we don't want it anymore. Otherwise the damage to our trees, ecosystem and microbiome of the pot not not be worth it. Especially if it kills future insects that are beneficial

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
"not not be worth it" was supposed to be "might not be worth it" too late to edit oops

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very good information. I think they are maybe millipedes verses centipedes. I no count legs though. They just look tacky crawling all over the place is the reason I would get rid of them. I'll try a quick repot. Going to have to watch it as the tree was just pruned up about a month ago.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I've had millipedes in my pots off and on for the last 15 years and never had an issue - I'd just leave them be

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonsai.. plants in pot. Things live in plants. Let them be.
If you cannot give live, be carefull taking it.

Top Bottom