What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today I goofed... Twice.
View attachment 533162

View attachment 533163

View attachment 533164
One I forgot to get a pic after I cut the roots back on this slow growing Mikawa Yatsabusa.
It's been in ground 6 yrs.
Fantastic minimal internode length.
Two, on my knees the canopy looked fine with the trunk straight up. Now I feel it should lean right a bit. 🤷‍♂️
Really though it is planted back at same angle which has looked fine since it's been in the ground.
Nice nodes! I’m digging it 🌲 🍺

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 52

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice nodes! I’m digging it 🌲 🍺
This is typical for M.Y.
They're just so slow I never remove much each Spring.
I expect recovery to be equally slow.
I'm still growing it out and the current 2 trunk forks are larger than the 1st branch
20240311_170023.jpg20240311_170127.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The seeds all came from the same plant but one definitely does not look like the others.

Thats the thing with seeds. There is no guarantee that it will have the exact same appearance as the tree it came from.
Each seed is its own combination of genes/DNA from each of its parent. There are variations so different outcomes are possible for each seed.
That is why they say cuttings are the only way to get a true clone of a parent.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tonight was ficus religiosa night. I decided to finally separate the three left that I started from seed 3 years ago, the pot was starting to get drainage issues. As you can tell, three in a pot gets a little crowded. I still have my bigger one to do but that’s another night.
IMG_1337.jpeg
IMG_1338.jpeg
Now all three trees have their own homes along with a little root cutting.
IMG_1340.jpegIMG_1341.jpeg
And more root cuttings for more tiny trees.
IMG_1342.jpeg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thats the thing with seeds. There is no guarantee that it will have the exact same appearance as the tree it came from.
Each seed is its own combination of genes/DNA from each of its parent. There are variations so different outcomes are possible for each seed.
That is why they say cuttings are the only way to get a true clone of a parent.
It's no big deal. I don't usually mess with seeds but winter boredom drove me to it. Still, it was fun.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That white pine is so tiny! Also, nice choice in salt 😁
It dwarfed on me. I had 3 but needlecast or some disease hit some if not most of my pines last year. The other 2 croaked but this one just topped itself and shortened its branches on its own compacting itself.
Didn't like the wet soil it was in so it was not going to do well unless I intervened.

Once I tried TM salt there was no turning back. No residue or brown sludge left after mixing a batch. The LPS loved it.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It dwarfed on me. I had 3 but needlecast or some disease hit some if not most of my pines last year. The other 2 croaked but this one just topped itself and shortened its branches on its own compacting itself.
Didn't like the wet soil it was in so it was not going to do well unless I intervened.

Once I tried TM salt there was no turning back. No residue or brown sludge left after mixing a batch. The LPS loved it.
I love that little pine 😁. I’m getting tired of the brown residue of IO salt but when chewy runs the buy 2 get one free sale plus an additional 30% off for signing up for auto ship it’s hard to say no to 3 buckets of reef crystals for $90

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Repotted my cotoneaster from an oversized glazed pot to an 8" training pot. I was going to go with a pond basket but I am going to give it 2-3 years in the tokoname with a lot fertilizer.

Still needs a lot of root work and more focus on scar healing while I grow it taller and build the main branches. It kinda looks like a little tree demon with the two big scars at the top.
1000010198.jpg

This is what it started as two years ago
20220501_192259.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love that little pine 😁. I’m getting tired of the brown residue of IO salt but when chewy runs the buy 2 get one free sale plus an additional 30% off for signing up for auto ship it’s hard to say no to 3 buckets of reef crystals for $90
Can someone explain to this northern redneck . What salt has to do with pines . And I’m not even sure I want to know what reef crystals are . Don’t sound legal 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can someone explain to this northern redneck . What salt has to do with pines . And I’m not even sure I want to know what reef crystals are . Don’t sound legal 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂
Salt water aquarium stuffs, perfectly legal my friend. I noticed the salt bucket beside the pine 😉
IMG_1071.jpeg

Top Bottom