What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Lots of yard work today: cutting last year's foliage from the Siberian irises and the ornamental grasses.
Also got the rest of the bonsais in pots out of hibernation and resumed work on the "East facing" boxwood ( taking out bad branches and chopping back...looking for direction...)

Attachments

• 20240304_171003.jpg
    20240304_171003.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240304_163154.jpg
    20240304_163154.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 40

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@19Mateo83 came over recently and saw the massive dead tree on my property line. Matt deemed it unsafe so he told me he would take care of it. He showed up today and dropped this sucker in the woods while I kept a rope tensioned with my truck.
Matt is a skilled, hard working man that loves trees. Thanks so much! 20240305_131224.jpg20240305_154712.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@19Mateo83 came over recently and saw the massive dead tree on my property line. Matt deemed it unsafe so he told me he would take care of it. He showed up today and dropped this sucker in the woods while I kept a rope tensioned with my truck.
Matt is a skilled, hard working man that loves trees. Thanks so much! View attachment 531992View attachment 531993
With it starting to rot and with it leaning toward your garden and house I couldn’t not take action. Glad to be able to help out a fellow nut.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With it starting to rot and with it leaning toward your garden and house I couldn’t not take action. Glad to be able to help out a fellow nut.
Judging by the foreground I can appreciate the confidence in your notch.
20240305_203628.jpg
No tension rope or cable and 10 ft from our house. BTW that's a 36 in bar on a 5 hp saw with no compression release. Like kick starting a Harley Pan head
Coulda heated the whole 40 ft house all night with just the black oak wedge.
Now you can come help me with the dead sassafras tree beside our house and hanging dead branches over my building.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Judging by the foreground I can appreciate the confidence in your notch.
View attachment 532034
No tension rope or cable and 10 ft from our house. BTW that's a 36 in bar on a 5 hp saw with no compression release. Like kick starting a Harley Pan head
Coulda heated the whole 40 ft house all night with just the black oak wedge.
Now you can come help me with the dead sassafras tree beside our house and hanging dead branches over my building.
They don’t make em like they used to 🤣.

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not very bonsai looking but maybe one of these years. Here is a Pinus Maximartinenzii. A very rare pine that grows the largest pine seed/nuts in the world. The tree also has the highest number of cotyledons of any plant (typically 25+). It’s also very rare literally only growing on two hillsides in Mexico.

The real reason for me posting was to announce I got an email from Peter Tea in Auburn (outside of Sacramento) is looking for a new apprentice.

If you know of anyone who wants to pursue a career in bonsai and wants to be professionally trained, look him up. His contact should be on his website which is PTbonsai.com.

Peter is very good and has more winning trees at the Pacific Bonsai Exhibit in 2022 than anyone else. He is also a very nice person to work with.

I wish I could do that but I’m old and will have to do with paying for my learning from Peter Tea.

Happy growing

Mats Hagstrom

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 42

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 532044
Obligatory pic of what I did today
besides moving some trees onto the bench and resting spots.
After drinking 108 ounces of this nasty nasty nastiness I realized what super Tuesday actually meant.

I have done that, you should have a fun time getting it all out. The colonoscopy wasn’t bad at all for me.

WEI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
finally repotted a mikawa japanese maple with a stone outcrop arrangement from chinese karst rocks.

IMG_5759.jpg

now brainstorming how to use some other rocks languishing on the shelf: root over rock? penjing compositions? accents? suiseki? lots of possibilities

IMG_5761.jpgIMG_5762.jpg

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever noticed how trees get bigger the closer to your garden you get?

A colleague pulled a bunch of yews from his yard over the weekend. On monday he jokingly said, you could make a bonsai out of them if you wanted.
Joke was on him, because yesterday he had o bring them into work!

Anyhow.. Three trunk in my car. Stop at the garden centre for some pots. Struggling to get them into the pots. 2 potted up. Third did not fit and need another solution; This will have to wait untill the weekend. Some of the surface roots peeking out, but that will be fixed next year (Or who knows, I feel like re-doing the work over the weekend, but a thick vertical root stopped me in the dark with pooring rain; I could not get myself to try and saw that off. Let's see what lives and what not!

1709710317184.png1709710361686.png

Top Bottom