US Bonsai in 20 years?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once, on a business channel, a TV viewer asked one of the finance experts the following:
"What do you think about a long-term investment strategy?"

The expert thought about it for two seconds, and then responded: "In the long-term, we will all be dead".

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, At the Kazari, Kathy Shaner judged the event, gave a detailed seminar on formal Tokonoma display all for free. The museum charged for the event since it is a non profit museum. The funds help offset the overhead of running the museum for the weekend as well as the curator staff.

She donated her time so those in attendance might further their understanding of Tokonoma display, something drastically missing in America.

That is how you further bonsai.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
ohhh....75, thats nuthin. But I can understand "Harry's" concern.

Don't plan to far ahead, you may not be here to see your prediction come true, I hope you do, but it's best to worry what might come true tommorow.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hmmmmm..... Every day is a good day... apparantly you're just being amusing and zen at the same time. No fighting whatsoever... ;)

Thank goodness for Google.

V

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three out of 6 scrolls from Japan that have kanji and you don't know what it means...this is what those three say! It is a very old Buddhist proverb and very popular on scrolls.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fortunately I now have access to a translator...lol so I don't have as much of that problem anymore. ;)

But I only have that access Mon-Fri when Eric is at work...lol

V

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The areas that the best trees come from are areas that only see some rain in the summer to keep them alive. Most trees that we collect come from private land with permission (something the govt. can’t take away). There are the cases when we will go onto govt. land and getting permits, etc. is fairly easy. I think that if the Govt. does step in it won’t be in my life time….at least to abolish the removal of materials from the forest. There is benefit for the Govt. to allow some resources to be harvested. This is a regional thing though, and in the West we are pretty lucky."

Spoken like a true West Coaster.:D You want to see the future of collecting out your way, take a look East--Collecting on private land IS something that can be taken away from you--depending on species, location (wet lands around here are "endangered" and "protected" so you cannot modify or disturb "wetlands" (which has a very broad definition) even if the land is yours.

Same for private land that harbors "endangered" species. Here in the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay water sheds we are blessed with Bald Eagles and osprey (too numerous to keep track of. I see Bald Eagles ALL the time from my backyard). If one of those birds happens to make a nest on a tree on your property, you cannot make use of the land around the nest for a mile out or so. We've had construction companies have to stop work on extremely expensive projects because eagles made a nest in a crane...

In the surrounding Appalachian Highlands (Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains) it is extremely difficult to get collection permits of any type. Thanks to unbridled collection of marketable stuff like Ginseng, mushrooms and other stuff--National parks are very wary of giving out any kind of collection permit.

With the "green" movement gathering steam, and more and more people using public lands out there, it is only a matter of time before someone out there takes issue with collecting five hundred year old pines. I think, unfortunately, your time is shorter than you think.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
--National parks do not allow any kind of collection, period.

I went ahead and corrected your misspelling. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Permits are possible in National Forests, but they are virtually impossible to obtain. It requires inquiring locally at the ranger station. The public lands that are common out west are mostly non-existent here in the east.

National Parks have stricter measures that are getting tighter all the time. Won't be too long before hunting is banned on a lot of these kinds of lands, along with it will go the right to collect plants...

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Permits are possible in National Forests, but they are virtually impossible to obtain. It requires inquiring locally at the ranger station. The public lands that are common out west are mostly non-existent here in the east.
From the midwest to the westcoast it is a fairly simple and fast stop at the ranger station to get a free permit. California might not be as easy, but Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Dakota's , etc....very easy.

National Parks have stricter measures that are getting tighter all the time. Won't be too long before hunting is banned on a lot of these kinds of lands, along with it will go the right to collect plants...

Natn'l parks have been off limits for ever....don't know of anyone who has collected them legally, atleast in the states mentioned above.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
"The areas that the best trees come from are areas that only see some rain in the summer to keep them alive. Most trees that we collect come from private land with permission (something the govt. can’t take away). There are the cases when we will go onto govt. land and getting permits, etc. is fairly easy. I think that if the Govt. does step in it won’t be in my life time….at least to abolish the removal of materials from the forest. There is benefit for the Govt. to allow some resources to be harvested. This is a regional thing though, and in the West we are pretty lucky."

Spoken like a true West Coaster.:D You want to see the future of collecting out your way, take a look East--Collecting on private land IS something that can be taken away from you--depending on species, location (wet lands around here are "endangered" and "protected" so you cannot modify or disturb "wetlands" (which has a very broad definition) even if the land is yours.

Same for private land that harbors "endangered" species. Here in the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay water sheds we are blessed with Bald Eagles and osprey (too numerous to keep track of. I see Bald Eagles ALL the time from my backyard). If one of those birds happens to make a nest on a tree on your property, you cannot make use of the land around the nest for a mile out or so. We've had construction companies have to stop work on extremely expensive projects because eagles made a nest in a crane...

In the surrounding Appalachian Highlands (Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains) it is extremely difficult to get collection permits of any type. Thanks to unbridled collection of marketable stuff like Ginseng, mushrooms and other stuff--National parks are very wary of giving out any kind of collection permit.

With the "green" movement gathering steam, and more and more people using public lands out there, it is only a matter of time before someone out there takes issue with collecting five hundred year old pines. I think, unfortunately, your time is shorter than you think.

Trust me when I say it is a different world out west. And like I said earlier, I don't see it changing anytime soon out here. Sure the green movement is underway which I think is a very good thing. However, removing stunted twisty junipers or pines where you might collect 1 in a 100 that you see isn't going to destroy any habitats. I could be wrong, but private land will always be open for the species that we collect.

There is soooo much legal collecting to be had in all parts of America it is silly!! There may be little pockets here and there that it has tight restrictions, but it isnt all doom and gloom out there! :)

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trust me when I say it is a different world out west. And like I said earlier, I don't see it changing anytime soon out here. Sure the green movement is underway which I think is a very good thing. However, removing stunted twisty junipers or pines where you might collect 1 in a 100 that you see isn't going to destroy any habitats.

Not only that, but the small, twisted/stunted pines are precisely what the USFS wants gone, and are very happy to have them removed. They look at them as purely understory fuel.......

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I tried a similar post yesterday and for some reason it did not get posted. I totally agree, in twenty years there will be no collecting from the wild for a host of reasons, private land, public land, no body's land. The way things are going with the government taking over every thing in site I am fearful that we may be approaching a cultural revolution not unlike that which took place in China in the 60's when Chinese bonsai was almost wiped out.

Top Bottom