Uncommon bonsai species

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I would start a thread . For trees . That is native to your region of the world . And or something your playing with . That you feel has untapped potential . As bonsai . Pretty much anything goes species or cultivar . To broaden the interest . Does not have to be a tree that no one else has . Just something uncommon . That others may be interested in hearing about . Simple what it is . And why you feel it is deserving of . Use and or any success or failure .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Betula nana . Dwarf birch . And or arctic birch . This is a small multi stemmed shrub or tree . That rarely is over 2 feet tall . Grows native in Northern Europe and North America . It is arguable the most cold hardy Dicid tree in the world . The smallest leaves of any birch . It lacks the peeling bark sought after in most birch . But it’s less prone to disease . Buds well on old wood . Apparently very easy to grow . My interest on this tree . Is the small leaves and cold hardiness . Considering that it’s generally believed that cold hardiness . Is related to root ball mass . As in smaller root mass . Less hardy . Starting with a tree that is rated for USDA zone 2 had advantages for very hardy . Extra small tree sizes . Add to that the ease of growth. . Small leaves . Attractive foliage . Multiple style . Availability . Seems a no brainer . Last summer I started with some nursery stock . Cultivar Cesky gold . Purchased to late for repoting . There seems some disagreement if it is . Pure Betula nana or a cross with Betula pendula . Anyway they are a gold changing to green foliage colour . With yellow fall colour . Grew happy all summer , I have 3 1 gallon . Will be potted into bonsai soil and grow containers soon . Unfortunately my crap . Rural Canadian internet don’t want me to load pics today . Have to wait till tomorrow

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Baccharis pilularis - Coyote Bush

Coyote Bush (also called Coyote Brush) is a common California native shrub. It is versatile and adaptable in a wide range of landscape applications.

Cool woody trunk. All it pushed was long runners. I think it died.
Seems perfect for a dry hot climate . And flowers . As a bonus .

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m continuing my experiments IMG_0582.jpeg/ torcher to Buckthorn.
If this bigger stump buds back, I’ll be digging more.
They do seem to reduce and bud back fairly well. Branches wired early can produce good results.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have been experimenting with Osage orange. It grows rather quickly and back buds well, the wood is also very rot resistant and should make for long lasting deadwood features. If you can get past the thorns, they are fun to play with.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe the three I have, are common Buckthorn and not glossy.
Could be wrong, but by the look of the texture, I think it’s common.

They can have real masculine trunks, which is also a positive.
I have 2 common buckthorn . That will be collected this spring . ( they are considered invasive in Ontario) there in my neighbours backyard . He wants them gone .both were trunk chopped last spring and have sprouted . So I think you will have success. My understanding is there fairly common used for bonsai in Europe. And will take heavy root reduction . We will see at least one of mine will be a more difficult dig . Beside other tree. 1 is single trunk . The other is a triple . That I first thought was a choke cherry . Until I seen the flowers , so we have to compare notes going forward

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have 50 species of trees, but nothing particularly unusual AND native to my zone. I have a couple of uncommon species which are not native here but which are greatly underrated:

- Chinese Ash
- Italian Alder

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been experimenting with Osage orange. It grows rather quickly and back buds well, the wood is also very rot resistant and should make for long lasting deadwood features. If you can get past the thorns, they are fun to play with.
Do you have collected trees .

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One person's rare and unusual will not be the same for growers in a different part of the world.
I'm growing a number of Aussie natives that many in the USA and Europe would not have heard of but are relatively common down here.
Banksia integrifolia, Banksia serrata, Podocarpus lawrencii, Microcachrys tetragona (creeping strawberry pine (but not actually a pine at all)), A number of different Eucalyptus species and more.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The original premise of the thread . Is to bring to light species that are off the radar so to speak . Or native to your area . And bring to light why you grow them . And or why you think they should be used more . Discuss there attributes . It can be of course look here’s a strange plant I dug up .or something that you genuinely think others might be interested in . But have never heard of . Because it is not popular . World wide .

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favorite species is almost never used by the members of bnut. It's chamaecyparis thyoides "red star" , the american white atlantic cedar
It came to my island because a mistake in the order of a garden nurseries, and I bought it as a neglected plant (6€)
Since then I had been training it:

JMK_3667.jpg

Also I took the cuttings I made with it (16), and now they are ready to make my first forest

IMG20240324093529.jpg

Why it's not used more widely in the bonsai community? When I google "bonsai chamaecyparis thyoides red star", more than 50% of the initial results, are my own trees. Do not confuse "red star" with "top point" or "little jamie" wich are not bonsai friendly in my experience.
They are easily bendable, bud back wherever you want, and had been pest free for the last 3 years.
Should them be available here, I would have bought more of them.....

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I just up-potted my osage orange seedlings over the weekend. We'll have to compare notes. Is there a study group thread for them?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Morus alba is an invasive weed tree around here. I find they are extremely forgiving of abuse. If you want a ficus that can grow in zone 4, get yourself a white mulberry.

I collected this one in my first year practicing bonsai, and a hard freeze hit it a few weeks later. Then it was infested with soft scale insects, and I didn't realize it for several months. It's still alive today.

This is an old picture. I couldn't find a more recent one.

IMG_9181.jpeg

Top Bottom