Uncommon bonsai species

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Have you used any of the other native elm species (American, slippery, cedar)? I'm not sure about the differences between them.
I have used several varieties but not to the extent I have used Winged Elm. Cedar elm is very easy to distinguish from the others...the top of the leaf is like a cat's tongue...very rough compared to other elm species. I think that is basis for the term crassifolia if I remember correctly.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you used any of the other native elm species (American, slippery, cedar)? I'm not sure about the differences between them.
Most of the native elms are sub species . Or related to American elm . They do have large leaves . But with variable leaf reduction , available . Up here in the north I have in the past had a rock elm . Currently looking for another one . But there rare now in the wild . And can’t even find seeds . Rock elm is prized for its very hard lumber . As bonsai it is nice . It has a rough cork bark look to it even at a young age . The excessive hard wood can not be bent . Basically but . When young shoots can be wired and once there moved , and set they are there for life.

Top Bottom