Tropicals brought in...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg Decided to go ahead and bring the tropicals in. They were spending far much more time in and out of the greenhouse than out. So...why not. Brought a little sunshine into my rainy overcast day.

Nice!

I plan on buying some more tropical soon to keep me busy during the winter. I absolutely love trops!

May need some artificial lighting since I have aquired quite a few tropicals over the summer.

I'll be starting the transition to indoors this week, as it looks like a turn to much cooler weather with nights in the 40s. That means bringing trees in at night and then back out during the day. Also, they will be moved out of full sun into a shadier location so they can get used to lower light levels gradually.

Been spoiled by the great weather the last couple of weeks. Don't want it to end...

We are still reasonably warm here.My Ficus will need to come in soon. I always loose leaves when I bring them in. Giga said he had better luck bringing them in at a certain temp. Can't remember his advice. Please reply Giga if you see this post. However I am sure it is soon. Where did that summer go??

Highs in the 60's here. Summer has blown out...fall is here. And my trees are seeing more time in the greenhouse than outdoors. So...in they came. The other day...it barely reached 6oF in the day. It's just cooler at the lake front.

@Giga your being ask a question...

Ficus go stand low tempatures, but once temps go below 60 I bring them into my grow room. Not the norm as they can stay out I think till like high 40's but they slow down less this way.

The leaves haven't even started to change here, still gets 85 degrees and humid as hell

Mind you...I'm in NE Ohio...bougainvillea survive...grow but not power house back budding for me. I am curious what if anything my old generation T12 bulbs would do in my sunroom where it gets adequate light anyways. Looked them over with much attention to detail yesterday...

Today, I noticed I needed to water my tiny cutting that has sphagnum moss mixed in the substrate. Drying out quicker under lights. But, my first bougainvillea looks to have tiny back budding forming in all sorts of places!!! Mind you...I didn't notice this yesterday morning...coincidence on when they appeared or...grow lights assistance?

I actually was thinking this tiny branch dead...hasn't tossed any back buds in the time I've had it...cut back in July and it back budded other places but, not in this branch. Figured in time I would remove it possibly.
image.jpg

I spray my figs and raintree with organic insectisidal soap as they transition from sun to shade to indoors.
Figs seem to me to be prone to scale outbreaks when taken inside.
Just a thought, a little precaution, as it were...

Darlene, I forgot to mention - the other things I do before moving the tropicals indoors is to treat for insects. I usually apply a systemic (bayer) and spray with oil. I find that most plants that spend time outdoors wind up with a few bugs (mites, scale usually) but those are usually kept under control by predators outdoors. Once inside, populations can multiply quickly.

I'd at least recommend checking them carefully if you decide you'd rather not treat preemptively. And keep an eye on them for a few weeks so you can catch any problems before they get too bad.

Chris

Looks like we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

Ha.....I was actually going to quote coh and ask him about spraying....Ha...

And if necessary I have a systemic powder I use indoors if I get some determined lil' rascals!!!

Heavy rains in the forecast, looks like it could be time to bring them undercover, my front porch/coldframe..:eek::eek::eek:
Don't laugh, it works good enough;):rolleyes::p
It's cold here in winter, stuff is gonna freeze:rolleyes:

Tropicals get an easy ride in front of a big 'ol southern exposure window....until the forced heat gets rolling!!
Then, hot and cold humidifier time, not quite 24-7, but dang close....:D

I think I may be doing the same today myself. The nice warm high 70's here in Michigan finally ended yesterday and looks like we'll be dipping into the mid 40's at night from now on. Time to bring my bougies/teas/ficus trees inside.

Looks like your the same general zone/area I am Darlene...Your bougie looks nice and healthy. The couple I have are doing well this year, just wish we could get the fast growth rate on them the guys South of us get. It's taken my little bougie over a year to do what a friend of mine in Florida can grow in less than 2 months.

I think I may be doing the same today myself. The nice warm high 70's here in Michigan finally ended yesterday and looks like we'll be dipping into the mid 40's at night from now on. Time to bring my bougies/teas/ficus trees inside.

Looks like your the same general zone/area I am Darlene...Your bougie looks nice and healthy. The couple I have are doing well this year, just wish we could get the fast growth rate on them the guys South of us get. It's taken my little bougie over a year to do what a friend of mine in Florida can grow in less than 2 months.

Yes...similar I'm sure...fall is here. No hiding it.

Seeing the bougainvillea tossing much back budding under the grow lights I'm going to love to see what fall/winter brings to my tropicals. Thinking it maybe their growth spurts for us up north. Time will tell.

Do you fert your bougainvillea at all once inside Darlene? I didn't fert mine at all last winter once I brought them in but I was considering lightly doing it this winter to see if it made any difference maybe?

Where did that summer go??

We are not far from you and honest the Summer s eemed a tad longer then usual although the transition to 50's in the nights was rather abrupt. We took what lttle that was left and a few new ones about two weeks ago. We are in MD this week and wanted to establish them inside prior to leaving. With the weather I am glad we did. Hoping you don't get more rain honest as flooding is the worst... Bright note - looks like Christie has all emergencey stratagies in place.

Grimmy

Well...thinking about it. I decided I needed to put things into perspective. I have more room up top for the cascade. To grow and develop...so I gave the Ivy a haircut.(a good 8" off) And stuck the fairy garden on the lower shelf. It can grow out next spring...but developing the cascade is my desire. So...it gets the top taller shelf might as get used to giving the Ivy a hair cut than get used to it flowing over the side from the top shelf. I did tilt the lower light to see more of what is on the lower shelf. I may change that yet.
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom