Time to style?

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I've had this California Juniper for about 5 years now. When I first got it the growth was very weak and some of the deadwood had rotted as it was being kept too wet.

Planned to get to styling it a couple of years ago but life got in the way so I think it's definitely ready now. Posting to get any inputs I can, I have an idea what I'm going to do and will post a sketch later. Right now it's time to clean up the deadwood and lime sulphur then clean up the bark, and order wire from Jim Gremel. It's a long term project so will start with deadwood work and main branch placement then move to fine wiring in a couple of years.

So any ideas?

Attachments

• Cal_juni.jpg
    Cal_juni.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 362
  • P1014069.jpg
    P1014069.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 365
  • P1014070.jpg
    P1014070.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 318
  • P1014071.jpg
    P1014071.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 291
  • P1014072.jpg
    P1014072.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not sure why but the old photo is the second one above.

Rest of the pics:

Attachments

• P1014075.jpg
    P1014075.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 235
  • P1014074.jpg
    P1014074.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 231
  • P1014073.jpg
    P1014073.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 232

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow great material. That is my dream material to take to a workshop with a professional.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If I was you I would take a refresher course by watching a bunch of Graham Potter videos just to get in the mood. Note: He always completes the work on the dead wood before styling the living tissue. That way things don't get in the way with each other. Great material worth of doing it right. If you are unsure of yourself or what you are doing get help these trees are worth it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great tree; love the deadwood just as it is. It appears to be quite happy, and I really like the front shown in Photo 2 of the first post. Thanks for sharing.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great tree; love the deadwood just as it is. It appears to be quite happy, and I really like the front shown in Photo 2 of the first post. Thanks for sharing.

You're right the dead wood is magnificent already with the possible exception of treating.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks ripe for the Keppler Krumple.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

You're right the dead wood is magnificent already with the possible exception of treating.

To reiterate- DON'T TOUCH THE DEADWOOD....EVER!!! Seriously, that's one of the best deadwood junipers I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning! Other then dealing with the rot, spend a lot of time contemplating before taking any cutting or carving tool to this beauty.

Last edited:

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
As far as styling goes, I'd love to see some of the foliage pulled down closer to that awesome trunk...I'd start there if it's a possibility.

I was going to say the same thing but feel unqualified to comment on styling yet.
Appears to have a lot of nice strong vertical growth that could be pulled in, down and have some serious movement added. The deadwood is the strength of this tree and the tall fem apex draws the eyes away from what should be the masculine strong focal point of this tree. just MO

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Brian you must have read my mind. This is what I have in mind, shouldn't be too difficult.;););)

Attachments

• caljuni003.jpg
    caljuni003.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 229

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pretty much all the deadwood work has been done over the years, I cleaned out some rot near the base and the previous owners tooling marks and added detail in some areas. I'm still toying with removing the part thats pointing up on the right hand spur.

Attachments

• P1014070.jpg
    P1014070.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 212

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If I was you I would take a refresher course by watching a bunch of Graham Potter videos just to get in the mood. Note: He always completes the work on the dead wood before styling the living tissue. That way things don't get in the way with each other. Great material worth of doing it right. If you are unsure of yourself or what you are doing get help these trees are worth it.

Yeah thanks Vance. I did a carving workshop with Graham a few years ago back on the East coast, really nice bloke and likes a good curry (who doesn't).

Pretty much all the deadwood work is done though just a clean up and lime sulphur. I'm thinking about removing a section from the right side stub. Will also have to remove a jin in the center section so that I can bend one of the branches down toward the front.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah thanks Vance. I did a carving workshop with Graham a few years ago back on the East coast, really nice bloke and likes a good curry (who doesn't).

Pretty much all the deadwood work is done though just a clean up and lime sulphur. I'm thinking about removing a section from the right side stub. Will also have to remove a jin in the center section so that I can bend one of the branches down toward the front.

I am jealous of your work with Graham and equally glad you consider him a "really nice bloke". There are few in the world I would even toy with the idea of spending the money and travel time to study with and Graham Potter is he.

I hope I did not insult you recommending you get help. I have no way of knowing what you are capable of, or not capable of. I do know that this tree is a masterpiece waiting to be let lose not rendered into saw dust and the compost heap.

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Pretty much all the deadwood work has been done over the years, I cleaned out some rot near the base and the previous owners tooling marks and added detail in some areas. I'm still toying with removing the part thats pointing up on the right hand spur.

I'm not sure that I would remove that section. To me it is more interesting than the left hand side. The left hand side feels a little bulky to me, but I still wouldn't remove any of the dead wood as that was exactly how nature has shaped it over the years.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I would like to see picture 3 and the last picture...large ones...Possibly post on external server or FB and use the URL to post here... Then maybe I can try.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not sure that I would remove that section. To me it is more interesting than the left hand side. The left hand side feels a little bulky to me, but I still wouldn't remove any of the dead wood as that was exactly how nature has shaped it over the years.

This is the section I want to reduce, I know what you mean about the left side, it has been reduced but I couldn't bring myself to go any further.

Attachments

• stub.JPG
    stub.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 188

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would like to see picture 3 and the last picture...large ones...Possibly post on external server or FB and use the URL to post here... Then maybe I can try.

Thanks Neli, just put them on FB and sent you a friend request.

Ian

Top Bottom