Time to style?

Amazing. It made me take a look in the mirror and caused me to give myself a pep talk. And re-asses the "future"....
Excellent work.:cool:
I agree to an extent. A great tree deserves a decent photograph, it doesn't have to be magazine quality but come on,--- I do not think it is impossible to get a good shot of this tree where the background is not cluttered with the presence of other plants which interfere with the profile and distort and confuse the beautiful detail of the tree.

Fantastic tree... almost as good as it ever gets.
In all honesty Dav4, how can you tell? There is not even a photo of the entire profile not to mention the effect mentioned above.

Well I am a bonsai guy not a photography guy, and these are just shotes with my phone after I'm done...but if you send me a nice backdrop I'll retake:)

But it won't look as good as I just did a repot and found some nasty rot in the roots so it's tipped up a bit to allow the deadwood to dry out and be treated.

You can put the tree on a table against a monochromic background or a hedge and take a full shot of the tree. If you have a digital camera you can do even more but if you were taking a picture of a person you liked you would find a way to do better. You don't have to be a "photography guy" to take an acceptable picture. Besides it is better to have a good picture of the tree for security purposes if you have to file a claim with insurance or law enforcement. You can do what you want but I am telling you the truth. If you or any one takes their bonsai seriously you should have a way to get good pictures. You wrote:.but if you send me a nice backdrop I'll retake....If you send me the tree I will take one of my crappy pictures of it. I understand the problems and I'm sorry it does not bother you, I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

IMG_1481.JPG Here she is repotted, as I said there was a fair bit of rot and I wanted the deadwood under the soil to dry out so I can stabilize it. So the potting angle isn't correct right now.

Ian, lay all the pads flat, with only the very tip...last 1" say.

Hi Ian, I am very glad to see your post again. Excellent work. I can see you try to save the wire :)
I really like the tree at this time because it shows the trunk base much better with nice trunk movement!
Bonhe

Hi Tuan, thanks, I'm not against restyling for the new planting angle but I actually don't know if this will be the final angle anyway. While it was dangling from my engine hoist during the repot I saw another potential that was much more dynamic...decisions, decisions, and I thought this one was almost done hah. A few shots from the repot below. The previous owner had it planted as a root over brick which was actually the driest part and had good roots, you can see some of the muddy mess that had developed in other parts, last pic is soaking in a tub of rhizotonic:IMG_1446.JPGIMG_1449.JPGIMG_1453.JPGIMG_1455.JPGIMG_1456.JPG

Hi Ian,
I can see what you are talking about.
Its deadwood in the trunk base is so beautiful!
Bonhe
p/s: you might go to Green Products in City of Industry and check its pots out. It has a lot of beautiful, cheap pots to be chosen for your tree. I just bought 6 big pots for my pomegranates and bougie for $215! The owner told me that a lot of bonsai dealers bought the pots from him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom