Time to put in a pot?

Iamkeion

Seedling
Reaction score
I've had this in the ground for about 5 years and cut it this year (I think it's some sort of birch)
And ideas on what I should be doing next please? Shall I get it into a pot?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG20240815154924.jpg
    IMG20240815154924.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 107
I would have expected much more growth in 5 years in the ground tbh

Have you been pruning in this time?

Your next step all depends on your goals

Personally I'd want a thicker trunk and more aged bark, so more unrestricted ground growth

The trunk looks like it could be a Birch. But I can’t see any leaves? Did you prune them all off? Or maybe it is schaded by the background?

If you’re heading into winter now I just leave it in the ground and dig it up the spring. I don’t know what your winter is like though.
I don’t see any leaves. Are they all gone…..eliminated when you chopped the top off?

Thank you everyone. I chopped it because the leaves all seemed to be dying a few months ago. It's definitely still alive. I'm just not sure what to do next. But we are heading into autumn now

Wrong time of the year to repot.
Repot in spring as buds swell.

Also wrong time to chop both in time of year and if the leaves were dying, the tree is weak.
Spring is also the best time to chop so it has all the growing season to grow and recover strength

Might be best to leave it where it is next year if it survives and do more work in spring 2026.

Remember bonsai is a marathon not a sprint.
Patience

Let it be. If it will survive it will need rest to recover from the harm done.
Cover the wound you made with some cut paste/putty. Wounds take time to heal and during that time they can pick up desceases through an open wound. Especially with autamn at the door.
Hopefully the trunk and branch had dormant buds formed. If so they should open next spring.
And if they do, they need to be left alone to bring back vigour in the tree.
If it dies, than you won’t like it, but you will not make a same mistake again.

Part of the learning process believe me 😃

Back
Top Bottom