Biggest pot I have for a bald cypress (1 meter by 2 feet) and the rotting BC I put in it

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
At just over 39 inches by 24 inches (1m x 61cm) and weighing in at I-Can-Barely-Lift-It pounds, this is my largest pot. Should I be repotting this while the tree is leafing out? Most likely not.

The tree was collected in Fall of 2022. Like everything else, it was placed into a non-draining tub. In this case, it was a 36-inch in-ground aquatic pot. Plenty of deadwood that needs protecting. Since the tree appears to be healthy, I decided I FINALLY had the time to repot it.

Ideally, the roots should have been disturbed as little as possible. In reality, the damnable thing weighs too much to move. The tree was initially potted in potting soil and haydite. This makes for a very mucky soil. I re-used as much as possible. The goal, for me, is to have minimal drainage, but not a permanent swamp. To that end, raw haydite was placed in small mounds over the drainage screens.

The pot has two drain holes and four wire holes. 3.5mm wire was used to anchor the tree. When old soil from the aquatic pot ran out, haydite and two colors of lava rock were poured onto the soil. The amendments were then "chopsticked" into the soil.

Nothing about this operation is really recommended. Think of this as "Seat of Your Pants Bonsai." Another way to think of this is "I have a tree, a pot, and a goal. What I lack is a plan."

Along with its enormous deadwood, the tree has termites. Little teeny tiny bastards cutting their way around the tree. There was life on the right side last summer. Now there is one little twig for which there is no hope. I'm not sure if I can do anything to rid the tree of the termites, but I expect the EPA to come out and declare the pot a Superfund Site. A combination of Talstar granules (Befenthrin), imidocloprid, and a certain relative of DDT that has been banned by the Stockholm Convention of 2001 that may or may not be in my possession. (Bonsai or healthy children? Hmm... It might explain why my daughter's vision is 20/40 in her left eye, 20/100 in her right, and 20/80 in the center. The trees look great, but getting her the glasses she needs to see the trees is difficult.)

... blah ... blah ... lime sulfur ...

When soaking wet, I doubt this tree is less than 300lbs.

Dewalt drill for scale (I'm out of bananas)
IMG_8766.jpeg

I moved it onto a pallet AFTER I had wired the tree into the pot. It's a South Louisiana thing. Place something heavy on the ground and it starts to sink. The feet of the pot only provide an inch and a half of clearance. If I hadn't moved it to the pallet, the pot would be flush with the lawn within two days. Even with less than half the soil in the pot, lifting just one side of it was a real challenge.
IMG_8767.jpeg

Lime sulfur applied with a small paintbrush. Here, you can see that where the deadwood ends, the tree is working to reunify the left and right sides. My initial idea for the tree is to begin a flat-top apex a few inches above the deadwood. I'll have to think on this. For now, the tree will rest a year before I begin doing anything else.
IMG_8773.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
At just over 39 inches by 24 inches (1m x 61cm) and weighing in at I-Can-Barely-Lift-It pounds, this is my largest pot. Should I be repotting this while the tree is leafing out? Most likely not.

The tree was collected in Fall of 2022. Like everything else, it was placed into a non-draining tub. In this case, it was a 36-inch in-ground aquatic pot. Plenty of deadwood that needs protecting. Since the tree appears to be healthy, I decided I FINALLY had the time to repot it.

Ideally, the roots should have been disturbed as little as possible. In reality, the damnable thing weighs too much to move. The tree was initially potted in potting soil and haydite. This makes for a very mucky soil. I re-used as much as possible. The goal, for me, is to have minimal drainage, but not a permanent swamp. To that end, raw haydite was placed in small mounds over the drainage screens.

The pot has two drain holes and four wire holes. 3.5mm wire was used to anchor the tree. When old soil from the aquatic pot ran out, haydite and two colors of lava rock were poured onto the soil. The amendments were then "chopsticked" into the soil.

Nothing about this operation is really recommended. Think of this as "Seat of Your Pants Bonsai." Another way to think of this is "I have a tree, a pot, and a goal. What I lack is a plan."

Along with its enormous deadwood, the tree has termites. Little teeny tiny bastards cutting their way around the tree. There was life on the right side last summer. Now there is one little twig for which there is no hope. I'm not sure if I can do anything to rid the tree of the termites, but I expect the EPA to come out and declare the pot a Superfund Site. A combination of Talstar granules (Befenthrin), imidocloprid, and a certain relative of DDT that has been banned by the Stockholm Convention of 2001 that may or may not be in my possession. (Bonsai or healthy children? Hmm... It might explain why my daughter's vision is 20/40 in her left eye, 20/100 in her right, and 20/80 in the center. The trees look great, but getting her the glasses she needs to see the trees is difficult.)

View attachment 538882

I moved it onto a pallet AFTER I had wired the tree into the pot. It's a South Louisiana thing. Place something heavy on the ground and it starts to sink. The feet of the pot only provide an inch and a half of clearance. If I hadn't moved it to the pallet, the pot would be flush with the lawn within two days. Even with less than half the soil in the pot, lifting just one side of it was a real challenge.
View attachment 538881

Lime sulfur applied with a small paintbrush. Here, you can see that where the deadwood ends, the tree is working to reunify the left and right sides. My initial idea for the tree is to begin a flat-top apex a few inches above the deadwood. I'll have to think on this. For now, the tree will rest a year before I begin doing anything else.
View attachment 538883
I feel your joy AND pain.
Bifenthrin will kill the termites.
I am dreading the day I have to pull Batman out of the big mortar tub and into a pot. My excuse for now is that I don't have a pot that big.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I feel your joy AND pain.
Bifenthrin will kill the termites.
I am dreading the day I have to pull Batman out of the big mortar tub and into a pot. My excuse for now is that I don't have a pot that big.

If the termites are still there in December, I'm going to take the tree out onto Blind River in my kayak. There's a place where the water runs clear. I'll tie an anchor to the tree and let it sleep with the fishes for a few days. Then I'll go pull it up and bring it home. How long does it take those little beasties to suffocate in their tunnels? Should I drown the tree sideways, upside down, right side up, left side up? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If the termites are still there in December, I'm going to take the tree out onto Blind River in my kayak. There's a place where the water runs clear. I'll tie an anchor to the tree and let it sleep with the fishes for a few days. Then I'll go pull it up and bring it home. How long does it take those little beasties to suffocate in their tunnels? Should I drown the tree sideways, upside down, right side up, left side up? Inquiring minds want to know.
If the termites are anything like fire ants drowning won't kill them. They ball up and emit secretions that repel water, allowing the ball to stay dry. Only thing I can see is to use your turkey basting needle to inject bifenthrin deep into the tree trunk.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They have a defence against drowning but it's not indefinate, they'll drown in 24 to 36 hours. You don't need a river just something larger than your pot.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They have a defence against drowning but it's not indefinate, they'll drown in 24 to 36 hours. You don't need a river just something larger than your pot.
Yeah but for that tree it means a river or a swimming pool. A creek or a bath tub ain't gonna drown that tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel ya on the huge pot thing. I put my big live oak in a huge pot this spring. It's currently still at its overwintering site. i had to reinforce and lower its stand in the backyard to safely handle what will likely be 250-300 lbs of pot, bonsai and soil. Sourced a new 27" x 19"x 5" (interior) pot this past winter. It weighs 55 lbs empty. The stand is cinder blocks with a slate top and underlying wood platform for support. Don't have pics of the newly repotted tree yet, though. The stand is almost complete. I have to add facing boards around the bottom of the slate--I'm lazy.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 55
  • bigpot4.jpg
    bigpot4.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 49
  • bigpot1.jpg
    bigpot1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 52

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I feel ya on the huge pot thing. I put my big live oak in a huge pot this spring. It's currently still at its overwintering site. i had to reinforce and lower its stand in the backyard to safely handle what will likely be 250-300 lbs of pot, bonsai and soil. Sourced a new 27" x 19"x 5" (interior) pot this past winter. It weighs 55 lbs empty. The stand is cinder blocks with a slate top and underlying wood platform for support. Don't have pics of the newly repotted tree yet, though. The stand is almost complete. I have to add facing boards around the bottom of the slate--I'm lazy.
Like all guys who are into BCs, I think I will be on the hunt for big pots soon. When I move to PA and settle down, some of the BCs will be ready for bonsai pot. I will either have to find them or make some with concrete.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like all guys who are into BCs, I think I will be on the hunt for big pots soon. When I move to PA and settle down, some of the BCs will be ready for bonsai pot. I will either have to find them or make some with concrete.
FWIW, Wigerts is the place for big pots from what I've seen in my search. My bonsai professional friends told me that Fla. bonsaiists generally have more huge bonsai around (must be all those BC) and the supply of pots is there to meet the demand. The one I got was among the SMALLER pots they had in stock.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Be nice to see a picture of the full tree and not just the base.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
could try gassing them with C02 if you can get a plastic bag big enough to enclose the tree if you want to get experiMental
"Carbon dioxide levels were monitored daily using a gas chromatograph equipped with a thermal conductivity detector."
I'm going to need a bigger credit card.

Gassing with CO2 is going to be difficult with my tree converting it all in to oxygen.

Oh, please. I use cereal bowls bigger than that.:p

Where you headed? Someone from New Orleans just moved to PA about an hour north of Pittsburgh. Cajuns need other Cajuns to survive.

Be nice to see a picture of the full tree and not just the base.
The third photo is about it. Just some new branches growing out. Nothing exciting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
FWIW, Wigerts is the place for big pots from what I've seen in my search. My bonsai professional friends told me that Fla. bonsaiists generally have more huge bonsai around (must be all those BC) and the supply of pots is there to meet the demand. The one I got was among the SMALLER pots they had in stock.
Wigerts stock when I was there a few months ago

Attachments

• IMG_8229.jpeg
    IMG_8229.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8230.jpeg
    IMG_8230.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8232.jpeg
    IMG_8232.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8219.jpeg
    IMG_8219.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8217.jpeg
    IMG_8217.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 26

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 538882

View attachment 538881

View attachment 538883
Now you need a forklift. 🙂

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This place in Florida has big pots for great prices Uncle C...It's a whole sale business but they will ship in a pallet for you anything if its over $600.

www.hfimports.com

Top Bottom