First repot on my biggest Bald Cypress

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I collected this specimen a year ago and put it in a mortar tub in about 80% organic soil. I never flooded it but soaked it thoroughly every day. I've never really noticed a difference in
growth between soaking and flooding. I chopped about 3 inches of trunk off above the leader and smoothed and sealed the cut. The nice nebari is about 15" at soil level.

unnamed (57).jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ya gotta love South Louisiana. Cypress trees pushing buds in early Feb. Fig tree in the background has had leaves for 3 weeks or so. The lawn is greening up nicely. That cypress was a 7 mile ride and a 50 ft walk to collect. Yep, life is good!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I collected this specimen a year ago and put it in a mortar tub in about 80% organic soil. I never flooded it but soaked it thoroughly every day. I've never really noticed a difference in
growth between soaking and flooding. I chopped about 3 inches of trunk off above the leader and smoothed and sealed the cut. The nice nebari is about 15" at soil level.

View attachment 471855
Beautiful tree. What soil do you use now? I will need to repot a bunch in a year or so.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love it. Need to get me a waterproof outfit and head down to La. I'm expecting a BC from your neck of the woods in the spring and will be watching this post for guidance.

Question on how best to chop a BC trunk. Can't really tell from the pic, but I was told to make the cut straight across the trunk part of the way through and then to angle the cut downward - Kind of like an upside check mark. And then to carve over the callous later in the season. Thoughts?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Love it. Need to get me a waterproof outfit and head down to La. I'm expecting a BC from your neck of the woods in the spring and will be watching this post for guidance.

Question on how best to chop a BC trunk. Can't really tell from the pic, but I was told to make the cut straight across the trunk part of the way through and then to angle the cut downward - Kind of like an upside check mark. And then to carve over the callous later in the season. Thoughts?
Perhaps I can help. For my BC I make a flat cut above the desired final height and let the tree bud out free. 6 months to a year later I select the apex then re-chop the tree flat down to the selected branch. I then leave a small platform at the chop and make the angle cut as far down as I like to achieve the taper I want. A few years down the road, depending on how well the cut heal, I will carve the trunk as I see fit.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

I pretty much do the same as Cajunrider except that I don't leave a small platform at the front of the angled cut. I find the callous rolls over better that way.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been gradually winnowing down my bonsai collection .........favoring quality over quantity. I have 8 or so BC in my collection now and they are basically all different styles. What I'll collect now is something that is substantially different or bigger than what I have. That is getting increasingly difficult. That goes for the mulberries and the Chinese elms too. I'm very fortunate in that I can leave to collect BC early in the morning and literally have a pickup truck full by 10:00 AM. Just this year I've gone from about 75 trees to right at 60. I put the "evil eye" on them, and if I thought they didn't have much of a future, I ripped them out of the pot, shook off the soil and threw them in the burn pile. Sounds harsh, but it was very satisfying. Granted, I'm a bit of a minimalist at heart.

Top Bottom