Biggest pot I have for a bald cypress (1 meter by 2 feet) and the rotting BC I put in it

rusticana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
could try gassing them with C02 if you can get a plastic bag big enough to enclose the tree if you want to get experiMental

I feel ya on the huge pot thing. I put my big live oak in a huge pot this spring. It's currently still at its overwintering site. i had to reinforce and lower its stand in the backyard to safely handle what will likely be 250-300 lbs of pot, bonsai and soil. Sourced a new 27" x 19"x 5" (interior) pot this past winter. It weighs 55 lbs empty. The stand is cinder blocks with a slate top and underlying wood platform for support. Don't have pics of the newly repotted tree yet, though. The stand is almost complete. I have to add facing boards around the bottom of the slate--I'm lazy.
One persons huge pot is not the definition of anothers? Especially for city folk. Here is my largest pot. Not all that big I gather? One big hole with four wire holes. The similar smaller one with the styrax in it is nicer because it has scarabs on the ends. Still haven't found a use for my large one.

Attachments

• IMG_3539.JPG
    IMG_3539.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

rusticana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
could try gassing them with C02 if you can get a plastic bag big enough to enclose the tree if you want to get experiMental

Using a plastic bag what about gassing them with pyrethrin? Not easy on this scale. But I'm thinking of doing it to plants I bring inside for winter. I had somewhat of an infestation. Not termites.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Using a plastic bag what about gassing them with pyrethrin? Not easy on this scale. But I'm thinking of doing it to plants I bring inside for winter. I had somewhat of an infestation. Not termites.
Pyrethrin might work but it is not a gas and might not get to the bugs living deep inside the tree , C02 would get everywhere even inside termite/borer tunnels due to this being the atmosphere inside the bag.

I don't know how effective this would be and have not tried it, I have only heard one person talk about this in real life ( a weed grower who recons he killed a spider mite infestation with dry ice, the guy was baked and was highly likely talking s**t).

There are other more reputable papers/evidence that this may be possible for example the link in my first post, that's why the mental in experimental was in caps as we all know @Cajunrider loves an back yard experiment

rusticana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pyrethrin might work but it is not a gas and might not get to the bugs living deep inside the tree , C02 would get everywhere even inside termite/borer tunnels due to this being the atmosphere inside the bag.

I don't know how effective this would be and have not tried it, I have only heard one person talk about this in real life ( a weed grower who recons he killed a spider mite infestation with dry ice, the guy was baked and was highly likely talking s**t).

There are other more reputable papers/evidence that this may be possible for example the link in my first post, that's why the mental in experimental was in caps as we all know @Cajunrider loves an back yard experiment
The pyrethrin spray I'm familiar with (back in the 90's) was an aerosol?
Prolonged exposure to tobacco smoke would also be deadly. Ha. Nicotine is prety wicked. I know back in the 50's at Kew Gardens they used to hot box their greenhouses using tobacco confiscated at customs

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's basically how I got rid of a termite infestation in an extremely old boxwood stump. Pushed termite insecticide soaked cotton balls into the galleries in the wood, wrapped the trunk is clear plastic and set it out in full sunlight for a day. The heat and lack of air circulation drove the fumes into the colony. Those that weren't killed evacuated...

Top Bottom