Tiger Bark Ficus ROR. Should I put in smaller pot?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey all!

I am wondering what you think about putting this tiger bark into a smaller pot? I recently bot this tree for about 200 dollars, and i don't really like how much pot space is in the current pot. The guy I bought it from recently transplanted it into this. I think the tree would look better in the smaller put, but the guy i bought it from seems to be heartbroken that I would consider taking it out of the rustic pot. Any opinions?

Sorry for the poor photo, i don't have a good spot to take pictures yet. IMG_1034.JPG

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If he recently repotted it, leave it in the pot until you get lots of vigorous growth to be sure it's fully recovered.

Where are you geographically? It helps to know what conditions the tree is growing in. I would recommend you add your general location to your profile in order to get better advice.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t think the current pot is a choice that I would make personally.

I would go with something quite a bit smaller and perhaps more shallow too.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I was about to say something similar, but based on the background of that photo, it looks like a hot, dry climate, where a deeper pot might be a necessity if you can't water several times per day.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was about to say something similar, but based on the background of that photo, it looks like a hot, dry climate, where a deeper pot might be a necessity if you can't water several times per day.
Im in Sonora, Mexico. Based on the hardiness zone map of the US and the minimum temperature of where I am, im in 10b.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
could we agree that the current pot is too big? Im not sure what I could do about finding a more shallow pot. Im not sure what the roots look like yet, and I am going to wait until I start getting good growth before I do anything. Any photo example or link of a potential pot would be very appreciated.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree that the current pot is a bit big for that trunk and branching. Larger pots are good insurance for learners. It gives you much more leeway in watering while you get the habit of watering regularly. Larger pots also allow a bit more growth so you can develop ramification, heal any scars or develop an apex if required.

Figs prefer to be repotted in warmer weather. Not sure about Sonora Climate but best not to repot while weather is cool. Sometimes it is better to develop patience than to rush in and kill trees.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I will refer to Shibui's post. Ficus, while very durable like to be on the wet side of the scale. Being in Sonora, the weather will be just like Texas, but drier. The average percentage of humidity yearly is 35% and a ficus will hate that if not watered properly.
Larger pots are good insurance for learners.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I will refer to Shibui's post. Ficus, while very durable like to be on the wet side of the scale. Being in Sonora, the weather will be just like Texas, but drier. The average percentage of humidity yearly is 35% and a ficus will hate that if not watered properly.
I have a drip system that I connect during april-may to make sure the thirsty trees get watered twice per day. The weather might be like Texas, but we get a very wet and humid summer. I am in the foothills of the Sierra Madre Occidental, and from june-october and it is about 85-100% humidity. We have a lot of problems with Dengue because of the excessive humidity and propagation of mosquitos.

I am not going to repot immediately, I will probably wait until May or in June when we get the first rains. I am just trying to get input on what kind of pot would look good for this tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is my first root-over rock tree, not my first bonsai or ficus.
From your question I guessed you had some experience. ROR is not much difference to any other bonsai but the rocks do tend to dry the soil quicker than bonsai without rocks so just keep a sharper eye on soil moisture through your dry season but balance that with the oversize pot which will hold more water than others.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I agree that the pot seems too wide for the tree, if we’re talking purely about the aesthetic, which I think is your main question. To my eye (albeit, inexperienced), all of the space to the right of the rock is sort of wasted and detracts from the movement of the tree, balance, or something.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't usually comment on stylistic issues so ignore me...

...but, to me, I'd consider rotating the entire rock a little shy of 90 degrees clockwise. That sort of roundy bend on the main trunk is hard to sell as windswept and just looks unnatural and distracting to me. I'd tilt that to be more vertical...something closer to

IMG_1034.jpg

but that might really depend on how the roots under the portion of the rock that would expose are like.

After looking at it longer, I'd maybe go a few more degrees more counter clockwise than that image...

I think that might also address the unbalance that @Balbs is seeing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don't usually comment on stylistic issues so ignore me...

...but, to me, I'd consider rotating the entire rock a little shy of 90 degrees clockwise. That sort of roundy bend on the main trunk is hard to sell as windswept and just looks unnatural and distracting to me. I'd tilt that to be more vertical...something closer to

View attachment 468447

but that might really depend on how the roots under the portion of the rock that would expose are like.

After looking at it longer, I'd maybe go a few more degrees more counter clockwise than that image...

I think that might also address the unbalance that @Balbs is seeing.
wow that is an interesting suggestion! I will have to spend time thinking about that! thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I agree that the pot seems too wide for the tree, if we’re talking purely about the aesthetic, which I think is your main question. To my eye (albeit, inexperienced), all of the space to the right of the rock is sort of wasted and detracts from the movement of the tree, balance, or something.
thanks! that is also a very good idea i didnt think of, i just thought smaller pot, but i could keep it in a decent sized pot and move it to the edge a bit. The wigerts example is also very helpful.

Top Bottom