Tiger Bark Ficus Cutting Growth

Brockie1996

Seedling
Reaction score
Good Morning 😊

Since March 11th (coming up 4 weeks ago) I have been propagating tiger bark ficus cuttings. I started off with 3 but 2 of them didn’t show any signs at all of anything growing but this one has showed strong signs!

I have been changing the water every 3 / 4 days, it hasn’t started to root properly yet but I think I can see some starting to pop out.

Last week I put 2 / 3 drops of the fertiliser in the water and left that there for 2 days, this cutting decided to shoot out a new leaf! The big green leaf was all that was there when I started this, the bottom leaf was only just sprouting and the right hand small leaf wasn’t even there so it’s definitely growing in the water!

I haven’t added anymore fertiliser since, just fresh water

How long do we think roughly until I start to see some actual roots popping out?

Thank you 😊

Attachments

• IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 7

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How long is a piece of string?
Rooting depends on conditions - ambient temps, light as well as how strong the tree the cuttings are from. As we don't know any of these factors it will be hard to predict time for roots. Just be patient. The callus forming on the stem is a great sign that roots are close to developing.
Just be wary of fertiliser in water. I've experienced algal blooms soon after adding liquid fert and occasionally the new roots die off. If you see any sign of algae or any discoloration please change the water ASAP

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would also second shibui's comment on fertilizer and potential algae issues on cuttings.

Tiger barks will root fastest near the summer solstice as that is when they are most vigorous but I have rooted several this year without paying close attention. If you havent seen any roots appearing in 4 weeks you can make a fresh cut at the bottom of the cutting, put it in sterile soil instead of water, and move it to the warmest location in your home (or near a source of heat like a lamp).

Given that your night time lows could easily kill a ficus cutting you will have to stick to indoors, sterile soil/any potting mix, and near a source of heat.

Top Bottom