Tiger Bark Ficus with a Thick Trunk

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wigert's had some Tiger Bark Ficus trees with an initial wiring done, they ended up putting the last couple of them up for clearance sale and I grabbed this one. First picture is from Jan 12 when I got it. Last two pictures from today, gave it a light prune and took the wire off. Forgot to take before pictures. This is the first tree I've picked up with work already done on it, my plan is to continue to use the branches they've got set. The wiring was very detailed and also biting in on the small twigs quite a bit so I'm going to let it recover for a few months.
IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1554.jpgIMG_1555.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would rewire in March (opposite direction of the old wires) to make sure you set those young branches before summer hits Florida. Then I would probably let it grow a full season. It's a little ugly atm, but nothing a little time won't cure. Just don't think you will be refining it as a chunky shohin... you need to let this one grow a little to develop structure.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agreed with above, keep an eye on the yellow areas, the wire is already biting in and it is imbedded. I would remove it in those areas and rewire as indicate above.

1707309786431.png

Also, on the red area, ficus is a fast healer, especially in hot/humid weather, I would suggest you buy some cut paste and clean up that wound and cover with it. In central Texas that wound would heal in a season, in SW Florida even faster.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The areas circled in yellow already have the wire removed, those are the scars leftover. The plan is to let them recover and heal a bit and then rewire in the opposite direction. Hopefully by March/April.
I don't use cut paste but Wigerts used something. Almost seems like elmers glue but it's got a little purple hue to it.
IMG_1562.JPG

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The areas circled in yellow already have the wire removed, those are the scars leftover. The plan is to let them recover and heal a bit and then rewire in the opposite direction. Hopefully by March/April.
I don't use cut paste but Wigerts used something. Almost seems like elmers glue but it's got a little purple hue to it.
View attachment 527640

I use cut paste and callousmate, while both work I get quicker and better healing with cut paste. Below I added a few pics of my TB ficus from when I bought it, I removed the leader in march and covered the wound with cut paste. I had some healing by May, but by Aug it was almost entirely healed. Granted the new leader thickened quickly, which accelerated the healing. This is something you have to be careful of if you plan on keeping that ficus small, they grow like crazy in your weather.

May 2021
1707398425609.png

Aug 2021
1707398467526.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also, building on what @Maiden69 has said, I would let your highest yellow-circled branch run as sacrifice growth to close the top scar - but it will be removed next year. Your eventual apex line will be built off the branch that is to the left of that branch.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have no intentions of keeping this one small. I’ve got several small ones from cuttings already. Letting the apex run as a sacrifice to heal the scar is the plan, while also trying to maintain the movement already started in the other branches.

Top Bottom