Tiger Bark Ficus - dead wood where branch cut

Rama

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

doing initial cleaning of a tiger bark ficus and am relatively new to bonsai. I am simply cleaning it up, getting rid of any dead stuff. There were some old knowbs where branches had been cut and the surrounding area has healed and there is healthy growth. Wondering what peopel would heandle the old dead and kind of rotting wood where the branch used to be.

Also there is a hole that rund about about 1/3 inch. What would you do with that? It faces downward and branches are growing around it. Woudl you fill it with something? Leave it? Try to put some kind of preservative in it?

Attachments

• tempImagefaV3C4.png
    tempImagefaV3C4.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 19
  • tempImagezwNbcF.png
    tempImagezwNbcF.png
    653.7 KB · Views: 18

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The hole will probably close up eventually, assuming it doesn't collect water. If it does you can create a drain with a drill. The dead spots can be left alone, or hollowed somewhat to form a uro - a feature instead of a flaw. see https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/uro-advice.255/ They'll probably heal up as well given time. Mostly you see permanent deadwood features on confers. Not so much on deciduous, and rarely on Ficus.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah...Adam Lavigne told me to leave them be for character. The tree tends to do its thing. But as Brian above states. You could hollow the dead wood a bit more. But in time.. the tree will grow over it. Ficus are truly interesting ...

The older image you can see a split/crack on top. From a hurricane dropping a branch or a tree onto it. I forget exactly. The tree then created an aerial root there and is filling the crack. It's truly just a cool species.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What a beautiful tree!
Thank ya kindly...came from Adam. He doesn't ship. He was up in my state at a club doing a demo. He brought it with him. I sat in on that...and a nice man there in the club...opened his home so I could do a private lesson the next day with Adam. It was a nice time...as I've nothing remotely near me as in a club... made a mini trip for it. Sightseeing and whatnot. As it was 4 hours away from my home.

Rama

Seedling
Reaction score
From adam's art and blog?

Top Bottom