Thuja occidentalis

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Getting new weed wacker cable I came across this guy that was sitting in the bargin bin. For 9$ I simply couldn't help myself
0528171610b.jpg

Niceish interesting nebari is what grabbed my attention
0528171611a.jpg

So I got to work. Sitting on the bench, please excuse the poopy background. But till spring when I can repot it sits waiting. :)

0627170655c.jpg

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Have you worked with Thuja Occidentalis before? I have one in my yard my parents were going to dig up and I asked if I could give it a prune this year, then begin the process of shrinking it down to a somewhat manageable size before digging it up in a few years.

This is a great looking tree already. Large for 9 bucks. Great steal. The one I am hoping to Bonsai was 7 feet tall before the trunk chop I did, and now sits at about 5'5''. The branch structure of these seem excessively difficult to bonsai. Mine was basically a huge cluster of small trunk-branches that went from the base of the tree straight up around the main trunk. The tree itself started as a root sucker so I think that's pry why it grew that way. I would like to bring the tree down to about 3-4 feet before even attempting to remove it from the soil. Does this species back-bud from the trunk readily? It had a bunch of small one or two node branches starting from the trunk, but if I ever hope to get it down to size, it has to back-bud extensively along the trunk. I am hoping the opening of the trunkline to light may stimulate some back-budding but don't know.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
View attachment 151283 View attachment 151283 Nice thuja, repotted my two thuja this year, the root balls were hard as rock and took a lot of root hooking to loosen up. Looks like you chopped about as much as I did, just under half. How did you treat the chop? Did you seal it?

late replay :) yes I did seal it

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice looking forward to what you will do with it
reminds me of my fugly thuja project lol gotta repot in spring too

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I have what is called Arborvitae 'Berkman's Gold'. I'm going to post an image. I like that it's growing as a rather smallish Thuja, although it's a slow grower, it's recovered from hard pruning in the roots and some branches.

Thuja IMG_1207.jpg

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello! @Giga any updates? I was looking for another thuja in development, hopefully get advice and answers. I recently decided to try Thuja, they're abundant here. Sold as hedging and ornamentals. I found this yesterday, very cheap. 3000 Tsh, less than two dollars. Its about a foot and a half, diameter of the trunk is around 20cm. The roots were a mess, but with plenty of good roots in there. I have done a few things to the tree. I am open to suggestions advice and praise;), especially praise, if deserved.

Attachments

• IMAG1104.jpg
    IMAG1104.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG1105.jpg
    IMAG1105.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG1106.jpg
    IMAG1106.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG1108.jpg
    IMAG1108.jpg