Can I graft hinoki cypress to thuja occidentalis?

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi! I want to ask if it is possible to graft hinoki cypress foliage or other cultivars of cypress to thuja occidentalis? Has anybody success with it?

As long as I know grafting conifers in diferent genus can be done, so it probably should be possible

Juniperus squamata grafted on Platycladus orientalis
800px-Juniperus_squamata_%27Blue_Star%27_on_Thuja_orientalis_rootstock.jpg

Juniperus, Chamaecyparis and Thuja grafted together
Multi-Generic-2.jpg

I’m very interested in any info you find on grafting . These 2 trees together . You can PM if you prefer . All I have found out is that basically can be done abs has been done . I’m assuming like everyone . Your goal is the improved foliage of Hinoki . My interest is to graft dwarf thuja to wild collected thuja . In case your interested Primo is a outstanding cultivar that is very Hinoki in appearance . May be difficult for you to source . My intentions are to sly of hand duplicate the stunning dwarf foliage of cold and wind tortured thuja That is impossible to keep and or duplicate in culture .

Attachments

• 5DBAFE6E-C99F-4CC7-86FA-53BB7EFFCCC0.png
    5DBAFE6E-C99F-4CC7-86FA-53BB7EFFCCC0.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 36
In case your interested Primo is a outstanding cultivar that is very Hinoki in appearance .
That sounds like a good idea until you're facing the same problems as I had with my chinensis juniper grafted on italian cypress; in spring the emerging shoots look similar and can be difficult to distinguish.
I use those shoots for grafting and more than once found out that my freshly cut shoot ready for wrapping, wasn't juniper but cypress instead.

Ever since I want every understock to be super different from the donor, as long as its for propagating reasons of course. Aesthetically it works to have things looking alike.

That sounds like a good idea until you're facing the same problems as I had with my chinensis juniper grafted on italian cypress; in spring the emerging shoots look similar and can be difficult to distinguish.
I use those shoots for grafting and more than once found out that my freshly cut shoot ready for wrapping, wasn't juniper but cypress instead.

Ever since I want every understock to be super different from the donor, as long as its for propagating reasons of course. Aesthetically it works to have things looking alike.
I think you mis understand or I was not clear enough . I’m referring to the above cultivar of Thuja occedentalis. Primo that has very dwarf tight foliage . Being grafted to wild collected thuja occedentalis. Goal is to completely replace the foliage on the collected tree with the improved cultivar .

I think you mis understand or I was not clear enough . I’m referring to the above cultivar of Thuja occedentalis. Primo that has very dwarf tight foliage . Being grafted to wild collected thuja occedentalis. Goal is to completely replace the foliage on the collected tree with the improved cultivar .
Ah right, I thought you were going to use it as a mother stock to graft wild material onto and to take cuttings, scions or air layers from.
I must have imagined reading something else ;-)

Ah right, I thought you were going to use it as a mother stock to graft wild material onto and to take cuttings, scions or air layers from.
I must have imagined reading something else ;-)
All good I watched your grafting vid . Very nicely done . Was a little surprised you wrap the scion that tightly . Have seen some that use a baggy . So there is more room . Grafting is one of the things I have no experience in . So I have a learning curve .

Primo is a outstanding cultivar that is very Hinoki in appearance . May be difficult for you to source .
I have two Primos and I agree that they look very much like a DWARF Hinoki. They are very slow growers for me - but I agree that they are very intriguing.

I have two Primos and I agree that they look very much like a DWARF Hinoki. They are very slow growers for me - but I agree that they are very intriguing.
A little difficult for me to source . That little thing called a international border . But hopefully will have at least one 6 gallon nursery . Version and a few 3 gallons . For my intended use I see the slow growth as somewhat a positive .

All good I watched your grafting vid . Very nicely done . Was a little surprised you wrap the scion that tightly . Have seen some that use a baggy . So there is more room . Grafting is one of the things I have no experience in . So I have a learning curve .
I didn't make any videos! I tried the bag though and bags catch a lot of wind so I recommend using alu wire as a reenforcement on the wound.
I switched to parafilm wraps completely and am also experimenting with early fall grafting instead of spring. Reason 1 to do it in early fall is to avoid young blackbirds that yank the scions out, reason 2 is to avoid nesting birds looking for nesting material and yanking scions out, reason 3 is heat, reason 4 is plant physiology: my plants thicken the most in fall, that's also when they put out the biggest amount of scar tissue and callus.
My grafts have just been through a couple days of freezing temps and they're holding up better than the cuttings I took (to see which will die first, easy indicator).
I think you'll be surprised with how easy grafting can be. Just make sure you do 5 more than you really want, and make sure the donor is in good health.

I didn't make any videos! I tried the bag though and bags catch a lot of wind so I recommend using alu wire as a reenforcement on the wound.
I switched to parafilm wraps completely and am also experimenting with early fall grafting instead of spring. Reason 1 to do it in early fall is to avoid young blackbirds that yank the scions out, reason 2 is to avoid nesting birds looking for nesting material and yanking scions out, reason 3 is heat, reason 4 is plant physiology: my plants thicken the most in fall, that's also when they put out the biggest amount of scar tissue and callus.
My grafts have just been through a couple days of freezing temps and they're holding up better than the cuttings I took (to see which will die first, easy indicator).
I think you'll be surprised with how easy grafting can be. Just make sure you do 5 more than you really want, and make sure the donor is in good health.
Sorry thought the grafting vid was yours . Have to recheck . Thanks for the advice at what time in the fall do you graft .

This grafting thread you made

Attachments

• 61C71111-D81E-4DDB-AD54-CE70ACD17B70.png
    61C71111-D81E-4DDB-AD54-CE70ACD17B70.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom