Thoughts on reverse taper

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’d like some feedback on this 3yo scots pine, if y’all would.
IMG_0091.jpeg
It’s had some explosive growth this year, with 7 individual candles growing strong from the top. It’s also had good growth down lower, but I’m wondering if it’s enough to balance what’s happening above. It’s far too small to be anything special so I don’t want to trim strong growth unnecessarily, but I also don’t want to screw my future self with reverse taper.

Am I worried about nothing here? Or should I save myself a headache these next few years and get rid of some of that top growth?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I thought I would give my thoughts then wait for more experienced growers to comment.
So my comments would be that you are worrying too much and this tree is way too young to have reverse taper issues. If it was my tree I would let it grow like crazy for another 2-3 years and use the part above my crude pen line in your photo as sacrifice. After those years you cut it down to there, and start the process again, keeping the branches below that line in check to use at a later date.
So in my memory reverse taper seems to happen with pines if a whorl of three or more are left for years and not culled to 2 for branch and new leader etc.
IMG_3282.jpeg
Charles

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This thread will be helpful.

Top Bottom