Thoughts on this tree? Design?

potatofarmer

Sapling
Reaction score
i already pruned it but it's still shooting out too long i think. the second pictures shows what i'm thinking of cutting off to try to develop a more rounded top shape. but i'm open to suggestions. I was going to make the cuts but decided not to since there really isn't much point at the moment. may as well just let it grow wild for a bit.

Attachments

• 20240423_104503.jpg
    20240423_104503.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20240423_104503edit.jpg
    20240423_104503edit.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 74

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
the second pictures shows what i'm thinking of cutting off to try to develop a more rounded top shape.
Seems pretty obvious you are aiming at a rounded stick in a pot bonsai and that's fine if that's what you want at the moment.
The cuts you have shown are very conservative but will be OK.
During spring growth period long new shoots is perfectly normal and we often need to trim like this every 2-3 weeks.

Letting the new shoots grow longer is another strategy you can use. More growth = more trunk thickening which may of us find a desirable trait in a maple bonsai.

There are lots of ways to develop a bonsai. You just need to decide what sort of tree you want to end up with and then pick a way that will help your tree get there.

potatofarmer

Sapling
Reaction score
Seems pretty obvious you are aiming at a rounded stick in a pot bonsai and that's fine if that's what you want at the moment.
The cuts you have shown are very conservative but will be OK.
During spring growth period long new shoots is perfectly normal and we often need to trim like this every 2-3 weeks.

Letting the new shoots grow longer is another strategy you can use. More growth = more trunk thickening which may of us find a desirable trait in a maple bonsai.

There are lots of ways to develop a bonsai. You just need to decide what sort of tree you want to end up with and then pick a way that will help your tree get there.
i didnt have any set plans aside from making a nice looking tree.
I have probably around 15 of these growing outside in my yard and only a few i potted up. they all have interesting trunks because i already wired them when they were smaller.

any opinion on the rock? should i remove it?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I did not even see the rock when I first looked.
I'm ambivalent about added extras on bonsai. I personally try to let the tree tell the story and attract attention but for those who have smaller trees with not so much character to interest the viewer the added extras might help attract their interest. I'd say it's your choice.

Top Bottom