Thoughts and Prayers for Baltimore Maryland: Key Bridge Collapse into Patapsco River

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No need to worry the federal govt. will get it fixed in no time. We have plenty of money in the coffer. Sorry just feel like I need to get it out of my chest after seeing the headlines that the tax money will be paying to get it rebuilt.
I agree the accident is horrible. The economic impact will be huge. Regardless of who paying for it, the speed will be the same. My point is the government is already drown in debt and this is an accident caused by a big corporation so they will have to put the bill. I just don't see the argument because it has an big impact on economy, we the tax payers have to pay for it.
Am sure there will be some insurance money contribute to the rebuilding but for someone to come out and said the government will pay for it is .... not making much sense to me.
The shipping company's liability will likely be limited and it will take years to settle on the amount being paid. A port as critical as B'more can't wait that long. And yeah you will feel the impact, particularly if you're going to buy a new car or truck or have one repaired. B'more is the #1 port for cars and trucks coming into the U.S.

Is there a political component? OF COURSE THERE IS for crying out loud, but infrastructure is always a good investment, even Marjorie Taylor Greene thinks so.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The shipping company's liability will likely be limited and it will take years to settle on the amount being paid. A port as critical as B'more can't wait that long. And yeah you will feel the impact, particularly if you're going to buy a new car or truck or have one repaired. B'more is the #1 port for cars and trucks coming into the U.S.

Is there a political component? OF COURSE THERE IS for crying out loud, but infrastructure is always a good investment, even Marjorie Taylor Greene thinks so.
I think y'all just don't get my point, period. No one argues that B'more Port is not important. As a govt of the USA, we have no power to enforce the law on companies that causing harm in the country? If the answer is no then I am done with this thread.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think y'all just don't get my point, period. No one argues that B'more Port is not important. As a govt of the USA, we have no power to enforce the law on companies that causing harm in the country? If the answer is no then I am done with this thread.
This is just an unfortunate event that will be investigated for years. The companies involved will be held accountable financially. If they are negligent, there will be criminal charges. Regardless of whether they can pay or not, the monies will take a long time to come. Meanwhile, the strategic importance of the bridge will compel our government to act quickly and rebuild the bridge.

All that is a realistic view of society action. For me, a moment of silence and prayers during this year holy week will be directed to the victims.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The accident, like most involving international shipping for the last 200 years, is governed by federal maritime law, which doesn't come from Constitutional law. It is a set of laws that apply to any waters navigable subject to interstate or foreign commerce and is applied by U.S. courts. Claims by victims of the accident are also covered by maritime law. I hardly think the company is going to get off Scot-free. They're likely liable for millions, not only for the bridges, but most likely for claims of the six victims' families.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

We have the power to enforce laws, but any large company that is well run has a team of lawyers that designed their company with limiting potential liability in mind. And said lawyers will do any and everything legally allowed to delay and limit what they have to pay as much as possible.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Comes down to do we want the port reopened ASAP which will already take a long time or do we want to wait 10 years while it gets litigated in the courts then appealed and appealed again.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That article was interesting and informative, thanks for sharing. One part caught my eye

“ While the ship’s collision with the bridge is likely to interrupt businesses in the area, Davies notes that purely economic losses are not recoverable from the ship’s owners in a maritime tort claim.”

It sounds like the government is going to pay a lot to keep dozens of companies from not going under and creating an even bigger crisis.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Top Bottom