Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Parsoni - of course

Best,
Dorothy

You say Parsoni or Parsons Juniper like this is your tree of prefference. This tree does not seem to be much available in these parts. I would love to work on it after seening the kind of work you accomplish with it.

MxDd938.jpg

Tree started with this originally B&B Mugo Pine.

URpYG1R.jpg

Initial first styling of very large Mugo Pine reduced down as far as would seem reasonable.

Last edited:

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Vance, the Parsoni juniper does very well under the South Florida conditions. We have hot summers, days and nights, and no real winter break. I can get away with shorter periods between stylings and repotting sessions. On the downside, it takes longer to train the foliage pads, but then they will be fuller ( and heavier! need good hold)

Best,
Dorothy

Front

Back

Side

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you do wonderful work with this species. Here are two photos of one of my Shimpaku Kishu seperated by about fifteen years.

jCNrJ5Y.jpg

As of this summer.

Mhy2Clz.jpg

It goes to show you that a tree is never done unless it is dead. This one has been redesigned at least three times, the most recent this spring.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cedar elm

Great work, Vance. The Shimpaku juniper does not do very well around here. Too much summer heat (through the nights), no winters.

The Parsoni juniper ranges from USDA zones 4 through 11, by the way.

Best,
Dorothy

Cedar elm - little - defoliated today:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great work, Vance. The Shimpaku juniper does not do very well around here. Too much summer heat (through the nights), no winters.

The Parsoni juniper ranges from USDA zones 4 through 11, by the way.

Best,
Dorothy

Cedar elm - little - defoliated today:

Thanks for the kind words about the Shimpaku. I appreciate your information on the Parsons Juniper.

Here ia another of my Shimpakus (Kishu I believe) that has been going through a redesign for the last couple of years. I plan on doing some things with it this winter after Christmas.
aY8sbWf.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice B&W...
Merry Christmas to all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 137

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My cork bark JBP Hayabusa...I'm wishing you all the best of the holidays.

Attachments

• ul hayabusa 12-22-14.jpg
    ul hayabusa 12-22-14.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 113

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shohin zelkova.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 132

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Merry Christmas every one. If we had had a Christmas like last year we could have had a photo with snow on my Colorado Blue Spruce. Collected from an old Christmas tree farm in 1982.

7h9smsR.jpg

This coming season I plan on spending a lot of time tightening up the design and bringing down the branches AGAIN; an ongoing task with this tree,and all Spruce for that matter. In case someone is thinking it I will tell you I am contemplating a major chop on this one. I just have to determine where. Could be aggressive or only the top couple of inches. The tree is almost four foot tall if that gives you a refference.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Managed to tend to a few trees over the break...who else did?
Now, I'm feeling about as lazy as Emmett, our new addition, but it's back to it tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 134

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Little shimpaku Pom pom I worked. Sorry about the jins, they will look better down the road I promise!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 119

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Merry Christmas every one. If we had had a Christmas like last year we could have had a photo with snow on my Colorado Blue Spruce. Collected from an old Christmas tree farm in 1982.

This coming season I plan on spending a lot of time tightening up the design and bringing down the branches AGAIN; an ongoing task with this tree,and all Spruce for that matter. In case someone is thinking it I will tell you I am contemplating a major chop on this one. I just have to determine where. Could be aggressive or only the top couple of inches. The tree is almost four foot tall if that gives you a refference.

i like this tree, itis huge though, but the with compared to height feels good, i wouldnt chop that much i think, perhaps the top part, which has different color trunk, make a jin out of it.
if you chop a lot, dont you think the bottom branches would feel kinda heavy? i guess you could jin some and graft new branches(if this is possible) curious what you will do with this

Here is a white pine stuck on a black pine, graft above the jinUntitled.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i like this tree, itis huge though, but the with compared to height feels good, i wouldnt chop that much i think, perhaps the top part, which has different color trunk, make a jin out of it.
if you chop a lot, dont you think the bottom branches would feel kinda heavy? i guess you could jin some and graft new branches(if this is possible) curious what you will do with this

Here is a white pine stuck on a black pine, graft above the jinView attachment 65158

That is what has to be figured out; whether it can be done versus whether it should be done. They do back bud well if they have ends that will drive it and allow the energy from a cut to back up. After dealing with this tree for so many years I am a little cautious to hit it really hard.

YOl5QRt.jpg

Mugo Pine initial and primary styling work done last summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom