The Tree Thread

For "Cadillactaste":

Hey Dorothy, that's no fair! Two pots for one tree. Is that allowed in bonsai? :p

Attachments

• Juni.jpg
    Juni.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 93
Oh...I see...I owe a photo. Nothing spectacular at the Hutt house. But...my wisteria blooming was a special time for me as a bonsai hobby...barely wet behind the ears.

imagejpg2_zpse9eef5af.jpg

Mugo from this summer's work. Another two seasons of work yet to do.

1GwTLGr.jpg

RareTsukomo Cypress

Picked up this little guy last week. Told pretty rare tree and hard to find?

Attachments

• Bonsai 8-2014 014.jpg
    Bonsai 8-2014 014.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 88
Nice raft, Vance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 80
Here are some others

Enjoying the end of summer.

Attachments

• 7 bonsai pics 005.jpg
    7 bonsai pics 005.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 105

For "Cadillactaste":

Hey Dorothy, that's no fair! Two pots for one tree. Is that allowed in bonsai? :p

Well, now that you have displayed a deeper understanding of bonsai rules, you are hereby authorized to break them.;)

9 inches high

Best,
Dorothy

Colorado Blue Spruce 28" tall started in the 1980"s

Well, now that you have displayed a deeper understanding of bonsai rules, you are hereby authorized to break them.;)

9 inches high

Best,
Dorothy

Beautiful tree Dorothy. What is it? Sorry I am so dense but there is no header as it was with the other tree I asked about.

Wz2Y8D6.jpg

Cedar elm

Beautiful tree Dorothy. What is it? Sorry I am so dense but there is no header as it was with the other tree I asked about.

Vance, it is a Ficus microcarpa, aka Chinese banyon, aka Ficus retusa.

Cedar elm

Best,
Dorothy

Can anyone ID this tree?

I was told a Mt. Hood Hemlock but cant find any info.

Attachments

• Bonsai pool photos 045.jpg
    Bonsai pool photos 045.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Bonsai pool photos 046.jpg
    Bonsai pool photos 046.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 77
I was told a Mt. Hood Hemlock but cant find any info.

It is probably a Hemlock from Mt. Hood though it is possible that there is a native sub-species. I know there is one from a place called Iron Springs in California. However; Hemlocks are Hemlocks and they do not back bud too well. I would start working on some styling for this tree starting with the removal of the lowest branch down on the left that you have proped up. Take the branches up high, put some decent weight wire on them and start pulling them down, curving the branch tips upward. You need to tighten up the growth pads and give them some shape and you really do need to do it now. Hemlock do not grow into an idea, they grow all over the place, they have to be forced into it while those results are still achievable, the wood is soft and the end points are still green and soft.

Sorry Just realized I need to pay with a tree photo.

cgLrA0G.jpg

First acquired for a styling contest at the old Bonsai Talk Web Site back in 2005? Mugo Pine $2.98

Last edited:
It is probably a Hemlock from Mt. Hood though it is possible that there is a native sub-species. I know there is one from a place called Iron Springs in California. However; Hemlocks are Hemlocks and they do not back bud too well. I would start working on some styling for this tree starting with the removal of the lowest branch down on the left that you have proped up. Take the branches up high, put some decent weight wire on them and start pulling them down, curving the branch tips upward. You need to tighten up the growth pads and give them some shape and you really do need to do it now. Hemlock do not grow into an idea, they grow all over the place, they have to be forced into it while those results are still achievable, the wood is soft and the end points are still green and soft.

Sorry Just realized I need to pay with a tree photo.

cgLrA0G.jpg

First acquired for a styling contest at the old Bonsai Talk Web Site back in 2005? Mugo Pine $2.98

Thanks Vance good eye I've thought about removing the lower branch. I've had this tree for about a year now and it has not grown much. The foleiage is thin and their is dense soil about 3 inches in diameter around the trunk. I did a repot this spring and was afraid to remove too much of it. Hoping it regains its strength and pushes some new growth. Attached is a pair if san jose junipers. I think.

Attachments

• Bonsai pool photos 031.jpg
    Bonsai pool photos 031.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 86
beautiful California Juniper at the National Arboretum.

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 87
Lair of the White Dragon

Allot of super nice trees in this forum. Makes me a little intimidated. I don't post too often but I'm tired of being a seedling! :) This is a juniper I've been training for a couple of years. It is my avatar tree. I call it Lair of the White Dragon because the jin is shaped like a dragon. Last winter was really cold - yes we get snow in Georgia!

Attachments

• white dragon snow3.jpg
    white dragon snow3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Chinese Banyon aka Ficus microcarpa, tradename Ficus Retusa

14 inches tall

Best,
Dorothy

Back
Top Bottom