The Accent (Companion) Plant Thread

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder where the line is drawn between a kusamono and a 'mini bonsai', based on the last two?

That's a good question.. but I like to use native seedlings (especially when they have nice autumn color) as companion plantings because when I walk through the woods on my property, the ground next to impressive trees is usually spotted with them. And mame or even shohin trees are often used as companion plants. So I think the line is fuzzy sometimes, haha.

IMG_0359.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Careful, if you keep it up you'll wind up picking all kinds of things and potting them...

P1030437

(temporary planting)

Hypholoma? Hypholoma are popping hard in the woods behind my house these days. We're mostly finding the edible Hypholoma Capnoides (smoky gilled wood lovers) they look very nearly the same as the poisonous Hypholoma Fasciculare (sulphur tuft) which I'm guessing you've got there?
Fun accent!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments.

Did you catch and release?
Sort of - because they're picked rather than grown, they don't last long. I was using them in a show this weekend. In the event, the original planting faded away, and I had to go out and get some more to replace them. I guess it's more like flower arranging than kusamono really (though the other things growing in the pot are alive). Anyway, both crops of fungus have now 'gone to live on a farm'. :)

And I looove that little container.

The pot is by British potter Bryan Albright. I was pleased to pick it up on ebay recently.

Hypholoma Fasciculare (sulphur tuft) which I'm guessing you've got there?

I think so, though I'm only really pedantic about ID'ing things I'm going to eat - which definitely doesn't apply to these. Which is a shame because there are huge crops in my local woods.

To make the post legit, you can see the V2.0 of the planting in this pic from the show. I didn't actually get any good pics so this phone snap will have to do!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the kind comments.

Sort of - because they're picked rather than grown, they don't last long. I was using them in a show this weekend. In the event, the original planting faded away, and I had to go out and get some more to replace them. I guess it's more like flower arranging than kusamono really (though the other things growing in the pot are alive). Anyway, both crops of fungus have now 'gone to live on a farm'. :)

The pot is by British potter Bryan Albright. I was pleased to pick it up on ebay recently.

I think so, though I'm only really pedantic about ID'ing things I'm going to eat - which definitely doesn't apply to these. Which is a shame because there are huge crops in my local woods.

To make the post legit, you can see the V2.0 of the planting in this pic from the show. I didn't actually get any good pics so this phone snap will have to do!

Could be worth a look if there are huge crops? Capnoides is a fine edible but there are poisonous look-similars so you need to be very sure. I normally wouldn't bother with something like that either but I've got huge crops here every year just behind the house so it was worth the research time. I'm just past the stage of certain ID and cooking very small portions, still haven't gone for the big plateful or fed any to the family. It will be good to get comfortable enough with these to do that though, millions of them out there.
H. fasciculare (poisonous, not deadly) has olive greenish gills when mature H. capnoides has smoky grey gills when mature. Galerina autumnalis is deadly poisonous looks a little similar but easy to tell apart when you know how.
Capnoides pics from yesterday, pretty mushrooms for sure. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg
And an accent plant, pathetic little thing growing in an old dog bone, perhaps next year it will be better. image.jpg

Top Bottom