Of mudmen and accent rocks: thoughts?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Mudmen in a bonsai planting certainly cheapen the artistic effect. But I have seen them used as an accent item in shows which can work very well if they are of good quality.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Stupid squirrels are making my garden look like Pointe du Hoc. These guys may be more appropriate for me.

2476dd46fd2b2dda11bcd79d50df9321.jpg

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Michael P — Thanks for mentioning Nick Lenz’s work!!! Great stuff, I think the architectural ruin might be my favorite....

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A little mud “Hexxus” from Fern Gully would be SWEET!1619731521071.png1619731553018.jpeg

On a slightly more serious note.. I’ve been considering ruins, wells, bridges, temples, teepees and other native american structures (made from clay) in North American miniaturized landscapes featuring TinyTrees!

🤓

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
On a slightly more serious note.. I’ve been considering ruins, wells, bridges, temples, teepees and other native american structures (made from clay) in North American miniaturized landscapes featuring TinyTrees!

🤓
I hope to see what you come up with. It sounds very interesting to me!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Michael P — Thanks for mentioning Nick Lenz’s work!!! Great stuff, I think the architectural ruin might be my favorite....

I love the one that looks like bricks with trees growing out of it. Perfectly combines my appreciations of trees and architecture.
The tanks are not out of context, either. I've seen many photos of wreckage left from WWII being over grown by wilderness. Though I will admit his examples are slightly contrived.
The antelope skull, however, I have seen similar in real life also. Not OVER a skull, but growing out of it.

My goal is to some day have an entire diorama of sorts that includes real trees and plants, miniatures, and a flowing stream that ideally would work in conjunction with watering needs and a fish pond.
Ah, the pipe dreams I imagine.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Unlike Japan, there is no "Bonsai Federation" or national group setting rules for exhibition in USA. There is the ABS but they do not seem to be interested in dictating rules for showing trees.

So back to RULE # 1 for USA Bonsai - There are no Rules. Rule #2, see rule # 1.

Seriously, there are rules for each show, set by the local committee and the show chairperson. The rules will vary from show to show as to what is allowable. Outside of a show, in one's own backyard, what ever you like is allowed. Generally most USA show allow a wide range of styles, the trees created by Nick Lens are or would have been allowed at most USA shows. So the USA bonsai does allow the inclusion of pretty much any manner of figurine you might want. Similarly with rocks.

But you have to ask yourself, does the figurine, or the accent rock add to or detract from the image you are trying to create. If they add, great. If they bring a dimension of levity or humor, great. Do they distract from an image, then they do not belong.

Its all about the image you want to create. The accents, kusamono, rocks in the bonsai pot, rocks adjacent to the bonsai pot, figurines, any item intended to be viewed with the tree, if they add a sense of time of year, time of day, or a sense of place, a sense of perspective, then they belong.

Sometimes it is viewed as more sophisticated to use negative space rather than figurines to build perspective.

But sometimes having a figurine adds the right amount of humor to a scene.

Top Bottom